AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-16, 10:54   Link #761
Magewolf

The simple answer to the goblin problem is that a reasonable reaction to them would remove the need for GS so there is not a reasonable reaction.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 10:59   Link #762
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The "simple" answer is basically to deal with the root of the problem, just like any threat. The issue with that is that the root itself is pretty ellusive and the kingdom has a lot on its plate. Just like episode 2 explaining "why there isn't any high ranked adventurer taking goblin quests" in response to episode 1 situation, the issue with the kingdom will be much clearer later in the story. If the anime skips the explanations or miss the original timeframe of it, a manga/LN reader will plainly expose it.

But prior that, I ask everyone to drop the topic since there isn't really any way to discuss more considering how it ends in a deadlock (moreso it might lead to accidental spoilers to boot).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-16 at 11:13.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 12:06   Link #763
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSamurai365 View Post
Seeing how many comments sprang up on because of the situation, this makes me wonder what everyone's view is of 'adventurers' are (like are their view of them different from what they actually are)?
What do you mean? How they are in the show compared to the common idea of adventurer?

In the show they are presented as mercenaries, mainly doing monster slaying for money. Why a profession like that exists at all should be reasoned in the story, meaning the military should be already busy, and the other people are busy too doing those other important jobs like producing food and crafts. Also the job of the adventurer has been presented as being deadly dangerous, especially at the rookie ranks. So one more reason a lot of people don't rush to become an adventurer, if they can avoid it.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 13:18   Link #764
ShadowSamurai365

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
What do you mean? How they are in the show compared to the common idea of adventurer?

In the show they are presented as mercenaries, mainly doing monster slaying for money. Why a profession like that exists at all should be reasoned in the story, meaning the military should be already busy, and the other people are busy too doing those other important jobs like producing food and crafts. Also the job of the adventurer has been presented as being deadly dangerous, especially at the rookie ranks. So one more reason a lot of people don't rush to become an adventurer, if they can avoid it.
Just asking about some of the viewers/readers' view of the adventurers are, since it seems some people complained about some of the experienced adventurers (regarding their actions/dialogue about not bothering with 'troublesome' work (when that work is actually important))..
ShadowSamurai365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 13:55   Link #765
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD3LF0N53 View Post
I'm rooting for Cow Girl. Despite all what happened, she still believes in her childhood friend. That's some wife-level dedication.

I am with you on that one!
Old 2018-10-16, 14:16   Link #766
Applehell

I'm guessing I am the only one who doesn't like Cow Girl's design here. Massive tits just aren't thing and makes her kind of awkward too look at imo.

Last edited by Applehell; 2018-10-16 at 16:02.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 14:26   Link #767
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I just wish they gave her a more mature voice instead of a Loli voice.
Old 2018-10-16, 17:43   Link #768
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I'm guessing I am the only one who doesn't like Cow Girl's design here. Massive tits just aren't thing and makes her kind of awkward too look at imo.
This makes no sense.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 18:05   Link #769
DemonneoPT

The best video ever made about the GS controversy is right here

Quote:
I don't like it either. Loli face, giant boobs and annoying childish VA in a character that is supposedly to be a full grown woman is what i hate the most. Especially in a non-comedic show.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 18:07   Link #770
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Big, small, matters very little to me, it's her voice that bothers me.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 19:41   Link #771
Ghostfriendly

Another reason Berserk is better than GS, after a fashion; Berserk leads with a guy getting raped. Goblinslayer could easily show male characters traumatised into helplessness by torture or the loss of friends, but, so far as I'm aware, it only reduces females to this state (correct me if there are some I hadn't heard about). And abandons them. Many shows kill off rafts of unremembered characters, but nothing can be done for the dead; a character still alive being condemned and abandoned is on another level, as the length of the discussion indicates. Berserk is a world with an evil god, and half the plot revolves around healing a traumatised rape victim!

I get the impression that I'm not alone (fans and non-fans) in viewing the RPG based world of GS as being artificial as any light-hearted Isekai (Again, there should be no female adventurers). Realistic violence and darkness shed light on real problems, and are a good thing. Artificial violence and darkness are not to my taste at best, and at worst give a false message like 'women who are headstrong and careless get raped, and that's just the way things are'. In any case I'll be playing Shadowrun Returns with that female Adept rather than watch any more of this show.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 21:12   Link #772
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
I'm just of the opinion that if you start off your show with a brutal rape scene of some non important characters in the very first episode not only is your show going to be always known as that rape show but it is also going to be seen as cheap and exploitative. Which it was.
Old 2018-10-16, 21:15   Link #773
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm just of the opinion that if you start off your show with a brutal rape scene of some non important characters in the very first episode not only is your show going to be always known as that rape show but it is also going to be seen as cheap and exploitative. Which it was.
True

Now people will expect the main girls to get that treatment too

Jewtube is down, that's a first, isn't it?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 21:31   Link #774
human6861

The bait is weak in this one . I was hope the anime end with the city get raid by the gob gob with full of gore like berserk , but it seem like just another weak shounen show with bait . Come on , even akane ga kill did it better without the bait .
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 21:55   Link #775
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Btw, I hope author isn't seriously thinking of making the main girls undergo rape as well, just because [it's not fair that mob girls got raped but main girls don't]

One crazy author did that to the most popular heroine and his novel got bashed to oblivion by outraged fans
Old 2018-10-16, 21:58   Link #776
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by human6861 View Post
The bait is weak in this one . I was hope the anime end with the city get raid by the gob gob with full of gore like berserk , but it seem like just another weak shounen show with bait . Come on , even akane ga kill did it better without the bait .
The heck are you on about? (actually I can barely understand what you're saying) the anime just started, we haven't even gotten to episode 3 yet, why are you looking for the ending already?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-10-17 at 03:30. Reason: Removed spoiler -- don't answer these source questions in this thread
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 23:25   Link #777
HandofFate

i always felt goblin rape was underrepresented.
tentacles always got all the action.
i for one am glad that the goblin demographic are finally getting some work
Old 2018-10-17, 03:59   Link #778
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Being singleminded and focused on a single part of episode 1, while it was a secondary element and much else did happen, is more telling of the watchers.

The combo of having the show rated more safe than it is and probably many also going in blind, has brought in more watchers than its rating would normally have, and since they were unprepared they were exposed to receive the full blunt of the content (which is not much different than a kid watching R shows for that matter, it isn't special to GS). It's still curious to observe how for the average watcher rape is more shocking than being minced alive, or getting mercy killed after being poisoned and beaten, and in general violence on the receiving end being more impactful than violence being delivered.
There could also be an observation about violence over character development, either as one overshadowing the other or as ease to understand one more, but episode 1 was actually heavily focused on violence, so that could be a comment more fit for episode 2, where having less than half of the episode focused on goblin slaying made some say "nothing happened", as if violence is the only measurement of "things happening".

On a upside, a show being seen as cheap because of a bias can actually work in its favor, since once the expectations are downed (as they always should be) any little the show will have to offer will be appreciated better.
The watchers drama is only going to last so long before itself becomes stale, and if it'll live longer it may have the same effect as it had for the manga, become a everlasting warning for who will pick up the show later, again lowering expectations, which is always good. (people starting a show "because it was hyped" has always been a nonsense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Another reason Berserk is better than GS, after a fashion; Berserk leads with a guy getting raped. Goblinslayer could easily show male characters traumatised into helplessness by torture or the loss of friends, but, so far as I'm aware, it only reduces females to this state (correct me if there are some I hadn't heard about).
You missed the main character as a victim of trauma. Sure goblin slayer isn't a totally adjusted person from what we saw.
Old 2018-10-17, 04:08   Link #779
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Lol, the only reason why the novel became so popular in the first place was because it put so much emphasis on Goblin Rape yo
Old 2018-10-17, 04:10   Link #780
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
the only reason why the novel became so popular in the first place was because it put so much emphasis on Goblin Rape yo
That could have been one of the pulls, but any story doesn't last with only a pull.
If you did read either the novel or manga you should know. But as a watcher, one following the show weekly as it airs to top it, it's more of a matter to see the story develop, or calling quits.
In my experience from reading the manga, I think this is the kind of story which flows better when you can read and watch it all without stops. The weekly watching won't be as impactful.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy