AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2020-08-20, 00:48   Link #181
HandofFate

Emilia just seems like the most useless heroine ever and least worthy candidate. She doesn't seem to have any skills in governing either.

You know the heroine is too weak when the story has to resort to sending best girls into comas just so has a small inkling of a chance.
Old 2020-08-20, 01:07   Link #182
GDB

Better than other series where they don't even provide a story reason why better characters are pushed to the side so the useless "main girl" the author likes can take center stage (looking at you, Hayate and Index).

But still, she's definitely not the worst candidate. Most naive, sure, but not worst. Honestly, the only one better than her is/was Crusch. Ana or whatever her name was is just being greedy and wanting to add the country to her shiny trinket collection. Priscilla wants the country as a new toy/jester to entertain her because why not. Felt wants to burn everything to the ground.

So yeah... if not for being a half elf she'd easily be a top 2 candidate.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 03:15   Link #183
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

This arc is really complicated

I assumed the way to get out is using this sequence :
Arrive early to the mansion --> asking Beatrice to help fight against Elsa (Subaru will finally remember the key statement that Roswaal told him in previous timeline) --> return to the village with Frederica (she is necessary to hold Garfield down) --> Subaru cleared the trial
Rem's role is taken over by both Ram and Otto as Subaru's emotional support

Emilia will at least be useful if she somehow can keep her sanity after failing the trial over and over again (at least for another 5 days) because I can't see her clearing the trial at all.
Subaru.. after all, got a strong support from Echidna to clear it
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 05:23   Link #184
moridin84
Custom User Title

Otto mentioned that Subaru was very calm despite what happened to Emila. That is probably why Garfield so much more suspicious this time around.

The exact same thing happened in the Mansion arc. The first loop they weren't really suspicious of him. However, every subsequent loop they become more and more suspious of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So Beatrice apparently has her own Witch's Gospel and has been following what it says to the letter up to this point, which I guess explains her non-commital attitude and lack of involvement whenever the Witch's Cult attacked. Does that make her an Archbishop? Is her "mother" Satella? Did Roswaal know all this? So many questions .

And apparently, unlike Petelgeuse's book, Subaru is actually in Beatrice's Gospel, which is why she saved him and even bothered with him. At the same time, despite her protestations to the contrary, she does seem to genuinely care about Subaru and feels distraught over what's going on and seeing him like that. Even if it was because she was ordered to (or otherwise?) she really seems to personally not want to see Subaru die .
...I'm pretty sure she was being tsundere when she told Subaru that she helped him because the book told her.

Quote:
I kinda feel bad that I was expecting Otto to take the bribe, but I guess like Subaru I underestimated Otto's loyalty to Subaru. He truly came to think of Subaru as a friend after everything they've been through, and Subaru finally realized the depth of that friendship. Otto is a true bro .
In previous loops, Otto betrayed Subaru (I forget how) and acted cowardly. Subaru obviously remembers that, which is why, despite how friendly he acts towards Otto, he is very transactional with everything he asked of Otto.

One of the interesting things about ReZero is that for everyone other than Subaru 70% of what happens in the anime... doesn't.

Many of the interactions Subaru has with people, only Subaru remembers. I wonder if the way Subaru acts friendly to everyone is to deal with that. Like if someone is confused about why Subaru acts so familiar when it's their "first meeting", they'll see that Subaru acts friendly to everyone so they just treat him as being weird.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 05:42   Link #185
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Emilia just seems like the most useless heroine ever and least worthy candidate. She doesn't seem to have any skills in governing either.

You know the heroine is too weak when the story has to resort to sending best girls into comas just so has a small inkling of a chance.
Aside from the fact we haven't see any of her skills in governing or whatnot since that hasn't been the focus

By this logic Subaru is worst main character ever because he spends nearly an entire arc failing due to trauma and his own internal conflict. If Rem is supposed to be then her just because of that says how shallow her character is. Besides neither have anything to do with each other and Rem being here add nothing to story other being a perfect waifu if she not struggling like everyone else. I'm glad that stupid discussion has died down because of it. Nothing against Rem or anything cause I like her, but that such arbitrary. comparison.

You need actually understand in this series the characters have heavy pasts and there are issues they aren't get over in a day. It doesn't make them useless. Why think Subaru who has been similar is empathetic with her realizes that you time & much less pressure to come to terms with that stuff? Emilia has been looking out for Subaru even under her duress, the search party for him was formed because of her so I don't how can call her useless. She basically trying her best right now despite her confidence in herself being tatters.

The only questionable thing here is that now he's keeps trying to take the trial in her place. He's being influenced by his loops and current situation which make him lose sight of his original goal so its understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Otto mentioned that Subaru was very calm despite what happened to Emila. That is probably why Garfield so much more suspicious this time around.

The exact same thing happened in the Mansion arc. The first loop they weren't really suspicious of him. However, every subsequent loop they become more and more suspious of him.
Right especially when subtle but significant changes started manifesting. Garf's comment about Subaru having he same eyes as Roswaal in this loop is also interesting point how some view his behavior right now.

Last edited by Applehell; 2020-08-20 at 06:18.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 09:46   Link #186
Frontier

Quote:

It's hard to act natural when you're experiencing the same events multiple times .
Quote:
...I'm pretty sure she was being tsundere when she told Subaru that she helped him because the book told her.
I kind of figured as much as well. She definitely cares more than she's letting on when it comes to Subaru.
Quote:
In previous loops, Otto betrayed Subaru (I forget how) and acted cowardly. Subaru obviously remembers that, which is why, despite how friendly he acts towards Otto, he is very transactional with everything he asked of Otto...
It was more self-preservation than betrayal, especially considering the circumstances, but I think having that in mind was what made it more surprising for Subaru that Otto would go out of his way for him here.
Old 2020-08-20, 13:13   Link #187
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
In previous loops, Otto betrayed Subaru (I forget how) and acted cowardly. Subaru obviously remembers that, which is why, despite how friendly he acts towards Otto, he is very transactional with everything he asked of Otto.
If you're mentioning the time during the White Whale arc when Otto pushed Subaru off the carriage...I learned about that case recently, and apparently Otto went mad when he heard the White Whale's "voice" which made him behave like that.
Old 2020-08-21, 02:25   Link #188
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
The only questionable thing here is that now he's keeps trying to take the trial in her place. He's being influenced by his loops and current situation which make him lose sight of his original goal so its understandable.
He wants to save the people in the mansion. Saving their lives is more important than Emila's character development.

Ignoring the possibility of solving the trial himself out of idealism would be foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Right especially when subtle but significant changes started manifesting. Garf's comment about Subaru having he same eyes as Roswaal in this loop is also interesting point how some view his behavior right now.
Reminds me of when Crusch criticised Subaru for his hate-filled eyes in the previous arc.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 06:49   Link #189
Applehell

Quote:
He wants to save the people in the mansion. Saving their lives is more important than Emila's character development.

Ignoring the possibility of solving the trial himself out of idealism would be foolish
What's going on the mansion and sanctuary are complete separate issues atm. Even if he lifts the barrier that doesn't change issues with the mansion which much more time-sensitive. That said there isn't even a guarantee he will pass the other two trials himself becasue what helped in the first one is that he already dealt some part of his past before accidentally undergoing itl. There is also the issue with Dona's own aims in this because it going against her stipulations for Sanctuary's liberation by making this exception.

Besides that not his reason for taking the trials in Emilia's place, its just he doesn't like seeing her suffer over & over, night after & night again. She not getting the time she needs to surmount them.

Quote:
Reminds me of when Crusch criticised Subaru for his hate-filled eyes in the previous arc.
Mmhmm.

Last edited by Applehell; 2020-08-22 at 07:13.
Old 2020-08-25, 00:22   Link #190
Applehell

Next episode is called the Value of Life.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-08-26, 09:52   Link #191
henshinagogobaby

Latest episode is out. The suffering is back in full force for Subaru, both emotionally and physically. All those deaths...

Those bunnies. Didn't think it would be so graphic...

Anyone can die. It's living that requires courage.

You will not touch these innocent people with even one inch of your dirty blades, if you require an opponent, I will fight you. If you wanna taste the ground, feel free to attack me.
-Rurouni Kenshin
henshinagogobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-26, 10:04   Link #192
Frontier

Oh hey, the Opening. I was beginning to forget what it looked like .

Good news, Beatrice isn't part of the Witch's Cult! They've just been using a discount version of her book, which then begs the question of exactly where that book is from. But at least Subaru doesn't have to think of her as an enemy anymore .

Y'know, when Roswaal says he's not your enemy, I still can't help but think that doesn't quite make him your ally either .

"I am that person?" What person? Is this someone only Subaru could appear to be to Beatrice? Like a reincarnation or something, or whatever is mentioned in her book? At least he knows what to say to Beatrice for sure now to get her to help him .

I was expecting Garfiel's beast form to be significant since he's a full beastman unlike Frederica, but he was almost a Kaiju-level of beast here. And maybe he has less control of himself than Frederica does given how he still attacked Subaru even after he'd given up and likely slaughtered all the villagers? Poor Otto, and poor villagers .

What the heck happened? It looks like Subaru made it through the barrier but then the necklace transported him to a snowed-out and abandoned Sanctuary where he gets swarmed by horned rabbit Mabeasts. Is that the future? The past? What's going on .

Out of all of Subaru's deaths, getting devoured by a horde of horned rabbit Mabeasts is equally both the most unexpected and most gruesome of Subaru's deaths. It was so traumatic that he finally couldn't recover and comfort Emilia like he did in the other loops and started bashing his head in at the futility and horror of it all .

So has Subaru having the Sloth Factor been subconsciously calming him down mentally this whole time? That's why he's been able to keep a straight face more or less after his deaths in this loop? Or did it only kick in when he went back into Echidna's domain ?

Subaru really knows how to appeal to Echidna's maiden heart. I have to wonder if her reactions to him are completely genuine, but it seems less and less of an act the more they interact with each other. I don't think she's an altruist or anything and is interested in knowledge above all else at the end of the day, but her warm and sweet reactions to Subaru don't seem as fake. I also think the fact that she's interested in him is definitely true, although I'm curious if she's really been watching him from day one .

Subaru can finally tell someone about Return By Death, because I guess Satella doesn't have access to wherever it is Echidna takes him. And Subaru finally has the catharsis of telling someone about what he can do and what he's had to go through all this time, with Echidna there to comfort him. He really needed that .
Old 2020-08-26, 10:47   Link #193
noktown

Quote:
Subaru can finally tell someone about Return By Death, because I guess Satella doesn't have access to wherever it is Echidna takes him. And Subaru finally has the catharsis of telling someone about what he can do and what he's had to go through all this time, with Echidna there to comfort him. He really needed that .
It could also be that either what Satella is doing wouldn't work on Echidna, or she just doesn't want to mess with Echidna.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-26, 11:30   Link #194
Dharma

Quote:
Y'know, when Roswaal says he's not your enemy, I still can't help but think that doesn't quite make him your ally either .
For what it worth, he said that they are his allies, not that he is their.
Old 2020-08-26, 11:51   Link #195
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
It could also be that either what Satella is doing wouldn't work on Echidna, or she just doesn't want to mess with Echidna.
Or you know, Echidna is already dead. Another possibility is that telling Echidna is a requirement to reach the next "save point."
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-26, 12:02   Link #196
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
For what it worth, he said that they are his allies, not that he is their.
Indeed. A curious choice of words...

I guess things just got even more complicated, eh?

If Subaru gets on Garfiel's bad side, he goes berserk and kills everyone...he strangely managed to escape when the pendant teleported Subaru to where I assume was the cell he was in before Otto came to the rescue.

Then there's the case of the snow...why was it snowing? and those rabbits, geez! Those things are nasty!!

But I noticed that on their right hind legs, they had a mark similar to the White Whale's "halo" ...and from what I've seen of other mabeasts so far (the Ulgarm and the ones recent shown, including the OVA), they don't seem to have that particular mark...I guess it has some kind of meaning?

Finally, Subaru was able to tell someone he can Return by Death...my assumption is because he's at the tea party/mental world that he can say it...well, I'm sure Echidna will probably explain it in the next episode.
And I'm sure this time Subaru will have lots of question for Echidna to answer...he sure needs more info on what is going on.

Seriously, this loop's difficulty just went up a notch
Old 2020-08-26, 12:43   Link #197
foxbox360
New Age Badass

being Subaru is suffering once more and those rabbits...damn.
Old 2020-08-26, 17:01   Link #198
Irenesharda

I have never been scared of bunnies before....

This was quite the episode. I expected Garfiel to kill them all and Subaru would have to return again, but it was rather brutal. Garfiel don't play.

And then there was his meeting with Echidna. And you felt so sorry for poor Subaru and are so happy that he got a chance to tell someone about his power and all that he's been going through.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-26, 18:45   Link #199
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Looks like the key phrase to say to Beatrice had completely slipped Subaru's mind, good thing Roswaal reminded him and even threw in a bonus. I can't quite recall the way Roswaal worded it, but he basically said Beatrice's book is a record of the true timeline, which implies he knows there are alternate ones and most likely that they're the result of Subaru's power. He is apparently quite close to Echidna after all, so it's not too surprising he'd know.

After seeing what Garfiel is capable of, I say he's the guy Subaru needs to take down Elsa. The problem will be how to bring him to his side, I guess he needs to win over one or both of the lolibabas.

What surprised me the most after Subaru teleported wasn't so much the snow (Emilia was probably dead so I assume it's Puck's doing) but the fact there were no corpses around, just empty clothes.

I immediately thought of the Monthy Pythons when I saw the rabbit. That was Subaru's most gruesome death to date, to the point he couldn't maintain his sanity upon returning. Good thing Echidna was there. She's so fucking cute, by the way. Too bad she's most likely super evil, the OP isn't even trying to hide it.
Old 2020-08-26, 19:43   Link #200
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
After seeing what Garfiel is capable of, I say he's the guy Subaru needs to take down Elsa. The problem will be how to bring him to his side, I guess he needs to win over one or both of the lolibabas.
Roswaal also said Beatrice can resolve the situation in Sanctuary, so I wonder what that means .
Quote:
What surprised me the most after Subaru teleported wasn't so much the snow (Emilia was probably dead so I assume it's Puck's doing) but the fact there were no corpses around, just empty clothes.
If it was Puck's doing, did Emilia die from attempting the Trial? Did she find out what happened to Subaru and the villagers and they killed her when she reacted? I guess where Puck is he can still fulfill his end of the bargain when she dies .
Quote:
I immediately thought of the Monthy Pythons when I saw the rabbit. That was Subaru's most gruesome death to date, to the point he couldn't maintain his sanity upon returning. Good thing Echidna was there. She's so fucking cute, by the way. Too bad she's most likely super evil, the OP isn't even trying to hide it.
I could see having Echidna as a confidante luring Subaru into a false sense of security regarding her intentions. He was suspicious before, but having her be someone he can finally talk with openly about what he's going through might make him less apprehensive about her .