AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-04-22, 16:39   Link #401
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Spoiler for episode 4 and other stuff:
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 17:43   Link #402
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Spoiler for episode 4 and other stuff:
Spoiler for Thought:
Old 2007-04-22, 18:19   Link #403
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well after ripping through the first 3 episodes I gotta say its been a pretty crazy and enjoyable ride so far. Not much of a plot so far but the characters are pretty fun and the fact that I think yoko has one helluva nice character design does not bias my opinion of the show in anyway, shape, or form....
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 22:40   Link #404
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Sorry but I'm just not feeling this new episode (4). Once again I fail to understand Kobayashi's appeal. I hated his 4C shorts, I couldn't get further than an episode into Beck and Paradise Kiss, and his episode of Kemonozume was easily the worst, far worse than the DR-Movie eps. And this Gurren-Lagann episode is hideous -- those closeups make me want to die. I don't mind when things are off model, but his redesigns are completely disconnected from the action and voice acting. The action and flow is disjointed and mistimed... it looks like sh-t, it moves like sh-t, and I'd wager the individual cuts that look the best has little to do with him as an AD. Kobayashi is the poor man's Yuasa. Yes, I said it. He sucks. Kudos to Imaishi/Gainax for allowing an individualistic animator to strut his stuff, but still.

Last edited by te2rx; 2007-04-23 at 09:09.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 00:43   Link #405
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 00:52   Link #406
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!;916209[U
][/U] ]
That one just kind of nails "free spirit" Yoko to a "T" ... probably in her culture its the throat that must be concealed (too sexy). What a character....
Old 2007-04-23, 02:43   Link #407
Windragon

About episode four, I hate it.
Animation sucks and also I found kinda stupid this episode.
Eps 1-3 are wonderful, but this one....
Shit :/
Is the same animator on episode 5?
We should kill him....
Windragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 02:54   Link #408
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
From what I can tell its been a different animation director every episode. Osamu Kobayashi doesn't seem to be returning in episodes 5 or 6. I haven't seen 4 yet, but having seen Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar (the 80's one not the new one, good mecha show, but frequently racked with the most inconsistent and lazy animation I have ever seen in mylife. The Dancougar literally looks completely different in every single shot and a lot of the time they don't even bother to add detail to the unit, so it just kind of looks like die-cast metal without any painting.) so I don't think any degree of poor animation will ever phase me again.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 08:23   Link #409
7Th
Mixtape

The animation directior is different but all episodes but this one, which has a completely different style to enhance the particular mood, had in-house Gainax ADs. If you didn't liked it... don't worry, everything until at least 13 won't be by Kobayashi again. Just watch the preview for 5th, the character models looks really FLCLish... more so than what the series has been so far.

And te2rx, I wouldn’t really compare Kobayashi to Yuasa as both are extremely different in style, thematic and execution. While both share an inherent honesty in their styles the ultimate feeling of unorthodoxy both connote are completely different. Animation-wise it’s really impossible to find real similarities between the rough, sketch-like and mostly rock-culture inspired movement of Kobayashi and the much more dreamlike, nuanced and psychedelic depictions of Yuasa. I can’t even find any relationship between the anti-climatic juvenile feelings behind the first’s directorial attempts and Yuasa’s more mature management of drama and humanity.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 08:59   Link #410
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
I agree the connection is weak at best. I was only reaching for another personality who has done wildly off-model stuff, and that Hakkenden episode with Yuasa & Ohira came to mind, and also his 4C shorts to Yuasa's weirder moments. But beyond the superficial, there's really no one to liken him to.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 13:38   Link #411
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm way behind the rest of you, but I just thought I'd drop in to say I finally watched episode one, after thinking I wouldn't bother (not my thing)...and I get it. Really well done. I see why the number of threads on 2channel is zooming up so quickly. And I think Konishi Katsuyuki is terrific here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 16:48   Link #412
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ahh yea i was put off at first by the animation at first but after seeing yoko pop up everything changed for the better just hope they keep it up :3

and great pics there maids to fuel my fanboy ego ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:32   Link #413
7Th
Mixtape

Summary from episode 5 added to the official Gainax Web-Page:

Spoiler for Episode 5 Synopsis:

The staff is like I had said Hiroaki Tomita as director and story-boarder, Shoji Saeki as script writer and Kikuko Sadagata and Satoru something as animation directors.

Source: http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Old 2007-04-23, 18:50   Link #414
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
The staff is like I had said Hiroaki Tomita as director and story-boarder, Shoji Saeki as script writer and Kikuko Sadagata and Satoru something as animation directors.

Source: http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Which means that the animation should be back to normal. Good to hear that. As much as I find experimental animation interesting, I prefer seeing consistency in animation once a certain style has been set in stone after a couple of episodes.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:58   Link #415
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Which means that the animation should be back to normal. Good to hear that. As much as I find experimental animation interesting, I prefer seeing consistency in animation once a certain style has been set in stone after a couple of episodes.
It should be back to relative normality as even the first episodes had different, yet interesting, approaches at motion. I still can't read the Hisashi (Something) or the Satoru (Something). Can anyone help me here?

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/gurren-lagann/story.html
Old 2007-04-23, 20:46   Link #416
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I'm quite anxious to see 4 now, given the controversy. I liked 3 a real lot - not quite as manic, but the plot was more coherent and the characters moved along quite a bit. I loved Kamina's "that part of you will end up saving me" line towards the end...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:10   Link #417
outlaw97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Any chance we can get the website for the above artist?

Man, so many fantastic fanarts coming out, makes me wonder how much fanart will be at Summer Comiket!
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:18   Link #418
SilentGhost
Lord of Darkness

Havent seen ep. four yet myself either, sadly I have limits... I've gotten to like watching anime in japanese w/subs, but I still refuse to watch something where i have nearly zero idea of whats being said, my brain complains too much.

I'm glad to hear that 4's style wont cont. since it seems to bite so bad. I never minded that single episode of FLCL where various directors had a go at it, but shifting out of the established entirely is bunk. Gurren-Lagann works, so dont fix it :P

Thinking on the style seen in 1~3 though I remembered a PS2 game that had a similar feel to it. "Samurai Legend Musashi", the OP to it had a much more edgy/comic book look to it but the high speed action was there as well. If only Musashi hadnt had such a horrid voice actor and had his old hair he might have passed off more like Kamina lol.

I am curious though; In the OP when everyone is walking along in Gurren & Lagann, the Gurren has a big thing attached to its back with a little flag. Is this just a storage container or does it serve some larger purpose?
SilentGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:26   Link #419
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentGhost View Post
Havent seen ep. four yet myself either, sadly I have limits... I've gotten to like watching anime in japanese w/subs, but I still refuse to watch something where i have nearly zero idea of whats being said, my brain complains too much.

I'm glad to hear that 4's style wont cont. since it seems to bite so bad. I never minded that single episode of FLCL where various directors had a go at it, but shifting out of the established entirely is bunk. Gurren-Lagann works, so dont fix it :P

Thinking on the style seen in 1~3 though I remembered a PS2 game that had a similar feel to it. "Samurai Legend Musashi", the OP to it had a much more edgy/comic book look to it but the high speed action was there as well. If only Musashi hadnt had such a horrid voice actor and had his old hair he might have passed off more like Kamina lol.

I am curious though; In the OP when everyone is walking along in Gurren & Lagann, the Gurren has a big thing attached to its back with a little flag. Is this just a storage container or does it serve some larger purpose?
It's the helmet, I believe.
Old 2007-04-23, 22:41   Link #420
outlaw97

Apparently episode 4's "art style" is causing more of a ruckus than imagined - taken from the Canned Dogs site:

Quote:
Gainax has been gathering quite a bit of online controversy over the past days. It first started when it attracted almost 900 comments on its official blog over ep 4 of Gurren Lagann when fans did not receive director Osamu Kobayashi’s style very well.

Then fans soon found comments made earlier in the month by one of the Gainax staff on mixi that she does not want to deal with disgusting otaku viewers anymore and wishes them dead. The Gurren Lagann producer then replies to the same post and agrees and says that 2ch is like an anus. This of course angered many of the fans and the comments on the official blog only become uglier. However this is only the start, and considering 2ch’s long history of controversies, I am only hoping Gainax comes out unscathed…
Links to relevant posts and such at http://zepy.momotato.com/
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote