AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-09, 05:35   Link #1
wao
OK.

Kaiba (Another Masaaki Yuasa x Madhouse production)

Off the Madhouse website: http://www.madhouse.co.jp/news/news_2008_01.html

Translated:

"Kaiba" (カイバ), the newest work by the man behind the widely-discussed Mind Game and Kemonozume, Masaaki Yuasa, has been confirmed to go on air. Following Kemonozume, this will be another original TV series by Yuasa. The story will be a sci-fi love story. It it scheduled to air on WOWOW from April onwards.

Okay, where's the like 5 people on this forum who enjoy Yuasa's stuff and are happy to hear this news?
I kinda hope it'll be different from Kemonozume story-wise though. Also I am keen to hear who the other staff members are.
Old 2008-01-09, 05:52   Link #2
gaguri

Never heard of him, but I loved both Mind Game and Kemonozume, so yea, go Mr. Yuasa and his new series. Both of his works had unique story, but also problems in substantiating them with solid developments. So here's hoping on my part, that the story he tells this time matches his out-of-the-world animation.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 07:04   Link #3
NeoSam

WOWOW's page for the anime:
http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/kaiba/
Old 2008-01-09, 07:04   Link #4
BluWacky
尻の竜

Holy Guacamole! Best birthday present ever!

(even if I didn't like Mind Game that much, and thought Kemonozume was a bit mixed...)

The WOWOW site at http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/kaiba has a very funky backdrop and the phrase "Even without my memories, I love you...". Sounds intriguing!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 09:55   Link #5
wao
OK.

Ooh! Happy birthday to you. Best anime thing I got as a birthday present was a spanking new Speed Grapher OP, but that was kinda nifty in itself...

Thanks for the link, NeoSam - the background definitely looks intriguing and the copy makes it seem like it has potential. Now it's a matter of seeing how it comes about. Kemonozume had nifty animation, but I hope this new one exploits the digital medium a little bit more if possible...

Personally I enjoyed Mind Game but was a bit mixed on Kemonozume, nevertheless I'm looking forward to this because it's bound to be more interesting than a bunch of other things there... well, actually probably the most interesting thing I've heard about so far that's airing early 2008. Aside from, perhaps, Gag Manga Biyori 3 but that's because one can never have enough Usami-chaaaaan.

EDIT: Also, since this is probably (I guess) going to be something that won't see the light of day on other channels and may not even get a regular DVD release, I really wish Yuasa could have considered streaming it on the internet as well... Wouldn't it make sense for shows like this to reach that niche audience through an online medium? I dunno...
Old 2008-01-09, 10:08   Link #6
ArabianSwan
Ureshii ^_^

Send a message via AIM to ArabianSwan
Interesting indeed, will keep an eye on this ^_^; Spring already have many promising shows
ArabianSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 11:47   Link #7
7Th
Mixtape

Honestly speaking, romance and sexual chemistry are Yuasa’s forte. Even with its silly script I would consider Kemonozume substantially accomplished based on the well executed relationship between Yuka and Toshihiko alone.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 01:18   Link #8
issei

thanks for the news!

the splash image reminds me of le petit prince at first glance, but with masaaki yuasa's resume, i know it might not resemble that classic work at all -- i'm looking forward to something entirely refreshing. he's very talented at combining a unique aesthetic with a powerful sense of sentimentality, and he seems to always be aware of exactly what he's doing. so, even when he's laying it on thick, there's an underlying sense of irreverence or irony.
Old 2008-01-10, 04:55   Link #9
Siegel Clyne

Going by Yuasa's past works, this should be an interesting watch, to say the least.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 12:10   Link #10
barbapapa
chochopolice

Brilliant news.
Kemonozume didn't quite live up to the insane level of Mindgame (best anime ever, imo), but I'm just ecstatic to see more by Yuasa.
Old 2008-01-10, 13:21   Link #11
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Definitely going to check this out. Can't wait for more details, see if I can pitch it as another Animeforever/Yoroshiku project seeming as we loved Kemonozume ;x
Old 2008-01-11, 07:09   Link #12
manuloz

Yuasa made a little drawing for is upcoming series :

http://www.madhouse.co.jp/column/yua...column_02.html
manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 12:34   Link #13
Snoop'

LOL that's some astounding art.

Yuasa says that the story will take place in a world where memory manipulation has become possible. Which reminds me that kaiba (海馬) means hippocampus in Japanese. It is a part of the forebrain, located in the medial temporal lobe, which forms a part of the limbic system and plays a part in long term memory and spatial navigation...
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 02:51   Link #14
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop' View Post
LOL that's some astounding art.

Yuasa says that the story will take place in a world where memory manipulation has become possible. Which reminds me that kaiba (海馬) means hippocampus in Japanese. It is a part of the forebrain, located in the medial temporal lobe, which forms a part of the limbic system and plays a part in long term memory and spatial navigation...
Sounds like we're going to be getting someting like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Game, then...

Hopefully we'll get a bit more info or a trailer as April draws closer. After all, all we had for Kemonozume for months was that one picture of Toshihiko and Yuka.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 01:42   Link #15
manuloz

Concept art from Masaaki Yuasa made at the start of the project :

http://www.madhouse.co.jp/column/yua...column_07.html
Old 2008-02-20, 03:42   Link #16
manuloz

New pic which introduce Kaiba's chara designs (source : 2chan)

Kaiba is slated to start on april the 10th.
Old 2008-02-20, 19:43   Link #17
7Th
Mixtape

The design art looks old-school and very psychedelic; with only hints of the underlying grotesque ideals behind Yuasa’s art. Intriguing.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 10:57   Link #18
wao
OK.

It seems to look very different from the Kemonozume art (or my impression of it being full of sketchy lines) on first glance at least. To me (presumably) these Yuasa-drawn image boards for Kemonozume like this look closer to the Kaiba image manuloz posted... well that's obvious. I dunno how to say it well but putting Kemonozume's imagery aside I never got the impression that there were grotesque ideals behind Yuasa's art as a whole.

I really agree about the retro thing though, it seems really obvious. I didn't really expect that.

Well whatever it is we have a date and time for the how-many-of-us-was-it-again who are actually interested in watching this. 10th April, 24:00... I presume they mean the gap between the 10th and 11th, not the 9th and 10th. Ambiguous timeslots are always good.
Old 2008-02-21, 11:43   Link #19
manuloz

The trailer seems to have find his way on youtube :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnABB0IegrQ

(source : 2chan)
Old 2008-02-21, 11:47   Link #20
wao
OK.

Thanks for the link! It's a pity it's really short, but from what little there was it seems kinda clean. No shadows though, as one would expect (unless I'm blind.)

I guess it was aired just a few hours or less ago as a TV spot on WOWOW and someone immediately ripped it out...

Tags
wierd