Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-16, 09:53   Link #1
Gooral
Banned

Wasteland 2 - a proper Fallout sequel is in the make

If you loved Wasteland, Fallout 1-2, or Planescape Torment
or any 2D tactical, turn-based rpg… YOU MUST support this game!!
Only $15 for a download, or $50 for a boxed copy of Wasteland 2 with a cloth map!
But this deal won't last long… in 21 hours it'll be history!

This experienced team is overflowing with industry vets… Here are a few:

* Brian Fargo * - founder of Interplay & inXile - designed or produced: Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and of course Wasteland (Fallout 0).

* Chris Avellone * - Game designer - Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, Icewind Dale 1-2, Champions of Norrath, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KotOR 2.

* Mark Morgan * - Music composer - Fallout 1-2 & NewVegas, Planescape Torment.

* Alan Pavlish * - Programmer/Designer - Wasteland, Descent 1-3, Battle Chess, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Stonekeep, Carmageddon 1-2, and way back when you were in diapers, Galaxian.

* Mike Stackpole * - Game Designer/Writer - Wasteland, Bard's Tale III, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary & Judgement Rites. Also, the author of many Star Wars and Battletech books.

* Jason Anderson * - Artist/Game Designer/Writer - Designed Fallout's engine, interface, and game world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother None
The 13th update sees inXile upgrade the $30 tier to pull $15 pledgers upwards, and talks about the upcoming end-of-drive live streaming event.<blockquote>Also we have spent some time thinking about and asking fans what we could put into the $30 tier to make it more interesting and to not disrupt what has already been offered. I think we have come up with an interesting list that may persuade a few people to upgrade. Based on your top requests and a forum poll we now offer the following as part of the $30 tier:

• An extra digital download of the game in any format. Many people wanted to be able to get a Mac AND a PC version, or PC and Linux, or even an extra PC version for a friend. Now you can.
• Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.
• Access to a four-episode Video Development Blog that will show you an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the design and development of Wasteland 2. Sit in on designer meetings and art-review meetings to see the process behind how the game is made. See interviews with Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, Mike Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, and the rest of the development team as they explain to you what they are doing and why they are doing it.
• A novella by Chris Avellone based on the universe of Wasteland.
Of course, all backers who are in at higher levels will also get all of these added items too.

Also we will have a live streaming party on Monday night (16th) from 10pm-12am EDT to celebrate the green light of production on the game. Our Kickstarter does not close until 5am the next morning, but we wanted to get some of our friends and family together to celebrate this little bit of history and share it with you. On attendance will be Nolan Bushnell the founder of Atari, Chris Avellone and a few other surprise guests. We will be answering questions received through live chat on the Twitch TV stream as well as from Facebook fans. I will tweet the URL Monday afternoon as well as post it here on Kickstarter.</blockquote>Fargo also confirms the vision document (which was discussed as a possible tier reward) will be available to everyone.

Last edited by NightWish; 2014-09-23 at 11:08. Reason: Image removed due to safe browsing report, do not add them back to your post
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 14:19   Link #2
Gooral
Banned

Wasteland 2 has been released !!!

You can read reviews at Eurogamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, PC Gamer and several other places. The game costs about 40$, though you can find offers with steam key only for about 30$. It's a game worth playing, especially if you're a cRPG fan.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 06:26   Link #3
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just got it, never played the original Wasteland but it's scratching my itch for a traditional cRPG very well. Very much akin to the original Fallout (since Fallout was a spiritual successor to Wasteland) with it's setting and system though you make a party of 4 from the start instead of just one character.
Old 2014-09-25, 18:17   Link #4
anime fan99

yas Wasteland 2 - a proper sequel for Wasteland 1 not Fallout

I do not know about most people but Similar Gameplay No equivalent proper sequel Are you saying most JRPG proper sequels for Each Other

proper sequel Needs be Shareing Lore World Story lines characters with the game is being a proper sequel for
anime fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 10:12   Link #5
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I got this as well, it's quite fun, honestly cant remember the last time I played a non-fantasy setting RPG.
Old 2014-09-26, 10:57   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The only annoyance I have so far is the fact that I have to trudge all the way back to Ranger Citadel to sell loot and resupply...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-27, 02:50   Link #7
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime fan99 View Post
yas Wasteland 2 - a proper sequel for Wasteland 1 not Fallout

I do not know about most people but Similar Gameplay No equivalent proper sequel Are you saying most JRPG proper sequels for Each Other

proper sequel Needs be Shareing Lore World Story lines characters with the game is being a proper sequel for
I think you are confusing the term spiritual successor with sequel. For most part, it shares common theme, atmosphere and similar gameplay but does not belong to the same IP. Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone have mentioned in various interviews that Fallout was modeled after Wasteland before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The only annoyance I have so far is the fact that I have to trudge all the way back to Ranger Citadel to sell loot and resupply...
Merchants are pretty sparse in the early areas but it gets better after you get to areas beyond the radiation cloud.

The game is pretty rough around the edges but the content is pretty solid so far for a game made with Unity engine and within 2 years.
Old 2014-09-28, 20:33   Link #8
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

SO far I've been playing it and I've rebuilt and restarted my party a few times.

Well, what the heck, might as well throw some pictures of my initial party builds up:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've also realised, from this, that I can roleplay this as the security guy being, essentially, an average Joe stuck in a team with a killing genius, a medical genius, and a tech savant, all of whom have shit for Charisma and interpersonal relationships, and he's the only normal guy there.

That said, I pretty much took hits to Luck (which is practically useless, so no biggie) and Charisma, which means that if you get Angela Deth in your unit early on, she pretty much spends every single combat encounter going rogue. On the other hand, she also headshots to death everyone when she does that, so meh, it's not too bad. (Angela Deth + FAMAS = Everything dies.)

Further thoughts:

1) Leader: Assault Rifles have the greatest utility ingame, and Perception is an important skill to have. I run Perception 2, Assault Rifles 2 and Demolitions 2 as my starting sets, so that I can disable traps that I see. I try to give her Combat Initiative of 13 so that she's the first to react (but at least for starting out, Combat Init of 12 & higher means you get a full round to react before your enemies). Int 8 means I get 4 SKill points every time I level, which is going to be useful.

2) Security man: Because I like disabling shit. I emphasise Alarms and Lockpicking and split Safecracking and Assault Rifles because there are, generally, more doors and alarms than safes. I try not to do too much with this guy because Int 4 means 3 Skill Points/level.

3) Techie: Here's where I take a Gamble. Guides say to use your MC for computer skills; I run that with my techie. Intelligence of 10 means I get 5 Skill points every rank, so I can easily skill up later and multiclass if I need her. Turning her into an omnidisciplinary techie. You always need to fix shit, and you need weaponsmithing to attach mods, so yeah.

4) Medic: I built him for shotguns and moving around speedily. This is an okay starting build, but other things that my mates like to do is give him pistols instead, because early game pistols are pretty useful. There's one, the Midnight Special, that has only 2 AP, so my medic could pop off 5 shots a round if he had that gun.

Now, some other valid thoughts:

I don't really see a need for sniper rifles because rifles have greater utility. That said, there's an NPC you can save at highpool, Vulture's Cry, who can join your team: she's a sniper, and starts with Sniper RIfles 3, so yeah, whatever sniper rifles you collect, give them to her.

You could also skip weaponsmithing for the Techie to start with, since you can easily get Angela Deth in your party at the start, and she has Weaponsmithing 2.

ALso, ingame you have a sadistic choice: After doing the first assignment, the radio tower where ace was at, you learn on the radio that Highpool and the Ag Center are under attack. And you can only save one. Well, if you skip the radio tower and immediately go and do Highpool, you can then save the Ag Center, and then on your way back hit the Radio Tower.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 21:03   Link #9
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Sooooo I actually tried that way of saving both communities, and nope, not happening. :V That was in the Beta but got patched out.

All things considered though, I don't really regret going for Highpool first. I get a good sniper follower, a pretty sweet sniper rifle, and loads of ammo and medical kits. And energy cells.

Then I went to the Radio Tower, and spoke to Spyke Alpha, and convinced him that he could join the Rangers for a fee, using the Kiss Ass trait. After I took his money and the exp, I immediately turned around and shot him in the back. I basically had this in my mind:

"Raider's aren't the law. I am the law.

"Raider Spyke Alpha. You are charged with multiple counts of murder, and armed robbery. The sentence is death, to be carried out immediately.

"And as for you, Wreckers... judgement time."

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2014-09-29 at 21:16.
Old 2014-09-29, 21:09   Link #10
Mr Hat and Clogs

Is your name Dredd?
Old 2014-09-29, 21:15   Link #11
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Nope. BUt one of my leader's instructors might have been named Dredd.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-09-29, 22:35   Link #12
Mr Hat and Clogs

lol...

Now I have the urge to watch the old movie with Stallone in it. It's so cheesy and fun.

Have to say, making (a) character(s) based on that series would be pretty awesomely suited for this game.
Old 2014-09-30, 21:05   Link #13
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Pretty much, yes.

Also, from what I'm told, apparently assault rifles get better as you go into lategame. doesnt surprise me, given their high level of utility.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-10-01, 00:38   Link #14
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Welp, just beat the game. It's alright and hits a few nostalgic buttons for me who grew up playing the classic cRPGs but it's fairly average when held in comparison to bioware/black isle classics in both gameplay and story.

Just a few tips for people just starting up so they don't have to recreate their party.

- Luck attribute is pretty worthless, use those points for other stats. Keep it at 1.

- CHA is useless for everyone other than your Leadership character, the exp bonus benefit is miniscule compare to other stat. Some NPCs requires certain amount of total party charisma to recruit but generally those NPC are generally not worth wasting attribute points in CHA just to recruit. My leader NPC only had 5 charisma while everyone else had 1.

- HP and skill point gain from STR and INT attribute is not retroactive so you should boost these to their respective breakpoint from the start and use bonus attribute point from leveling for other sats. You should have atleast 4 INT for your combat character to get 3 SP per level which lets you level up 3 skills to the max by the end of the game.

- You don't need tons of AP, just enough to pull off headshot + burst combo for your weapons. For assault rifle, 9 AP is enough though 10 AP lets you do 2 single shots if you need him to pick off low HP targets. Snipers only need 9 AP for headshot with it's highest tier sniper rifle. Energy Weapons can't headshot so just keep your AP @ 8 to be able to use the best EW ingame.

- You should raise your combat initiative as high as possible via Awareness or Speed attribute so your guy's turn come up more often. Awareness gives more CI per point while Speed provides additional benefits like move speed, evasion and AP.

- Melee character generally starts slow so early on it's best to supplement their combat abilities with grenades and rocket launchers which doesn't require weapon skill to use. Blunts do well against high armor target, blades have high crit chance and brawling scales crazily well late game since it's dmg goes up with character level.

- Assault rifles is the best due headshot + burst combo once you get enough hit chance to pull it off.

- Energy weapons are pretty good even early on because of it's reverse armor penetration mechanic. If your enemy have more armor than your weapon threshold, you get 2x + dmg but if they have less, your dmg gets cut in half. Also you can get the best EW weapon by midgame and wreck faces with it.

- Sniper Rifle is decent due to it's range, hit rate and armor penetration from the early on but gets overshadowed later by weapons with burst mode. Still useful lategame to pick off or wear down dangerous target from afar.

- Shotguns are fairly mediocre till you get burst mode which makes it slightly better. Only having one mod slot really hurts it's effectiveness overall but it's AOE dmg is nice if you can get targets to group up for it.

- Pistols are weak, use SMG instead to utilize all those .38 and 9mm bullets you are picking up.

- Heavy Weapons eats up too much ammo which is a problem early on and it uses the same ammo type as assault rifle. Not being able to mod them also hampers their effectiveness.
Old 2015-08-15, 06:38   Link #15
Chibiloli

Anybody know who should I side with in the Canyon of Titan? The DMB guys seem rather shady and I'm rather pissed at the monks for vaporizing my clothes.