Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-06-01, 01:07   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Favourite Male and Female Seiyuu + Role

The idea behind this thread is different from the Voice Actor Appreciation Discussion Thread, so I'm hoping it doesn't get merged with that one.

What I have in mind is a thread where a person can list 5 of there favourite female seiyuu and 5 of their favourite male seiyuu, as well as a role that defined them for the poster and maybe a little bit about them. The catch is that there has to be 5 from each gender (It can be 3 from each if the poster can't come up with others too). This isn't meant to be a ranking either, but I'm hoping maybe it will raise awareness of some of the great Seiyuu out there that people might otherwise not be familiar with. Here goes:

Female:

- Romi Paku as Loran Cehack in Turn A Gundam (A great seiyuu whose ability to make her characters seem as real and human as possible is all but peerless. She really shines as the lovable and empathetic Loran Cechack in Turn A Gundam)

- Rie Kugimiya as Shana in Shakugan No Shana (For such a tiny voice she has incredible force and power in her role as Shana. I credit Rie Kugimiya as the sole catalyst behind bridging the gap between a gar fan like me and moe characters and series. She's pretty darn hot blooded yet cute while doing it. Plus she can also play male characters too, making her range from the tiniest most high pitched girl to a mildly effiminate sounding man)

- Mamiko Noto as Hecate in Shakugan No Shana (Has a great sense of humour in other roles and her haunting and somewhat creepy voice for Hecate left a lasting impression on me. Never has a voice resonated in my head so completely, as if it would all but consume me. She's definetely one of a kind and I like her deeper voice that sits her apart from a lot of the squeaky high-pitched roles out there)

- Yukana as C.C in Code Geass (From the weak-willed and high pitched Tessa Testarossa to the commanding and overwhelming C.C, Yukana has impressed me very much with her range. She seems to be able to do almost any role)

- Maaya Sakomoto as Hitomi Kanzaki in Escaflowne (Maaya Sakamoto's straight up approach to her characters shows that sometimes less is more in a role. Never does she oversell and never does she oversell her roles, but she becomes her character. Also my all time favourite singer seiyuu)

Male:

- Kappei Yamaguchi as Sai Saicii in G Gundam (Probably the single funniest man in all of anime. His comedic timing with his roles and his high pitched young male sounding voice have regularly left me in stitches. He's also a damn good singer too)

- Takehito Koyasu as Gym Ghinghnam in Turn A Gundam (Probably the single most talented man in the anime industry. He has more roles than any other person in the industry and is reknowned for his deep commanding voice, yet he can also play funny characters like Kururu in Keroro Gunsou. He also seems to be some sort of multi talented genius in that he leads a band and the most reknowned seiyuu group in the industry (Weiss), has directed anime, written novels and he even designed his own Boy Love game.

- Nobuo Tobita as Camille Bidan in Zeta Gundam (His ability to play on edge characters is second to none. He has seen extensive work in video games as well and also is the voice of my favourite anime character of all time Camille Bidan.)

- Kaneto Shiozawa as B.D in Megazone 23 (This man would be the Mamiko Noto of male seiyuu. His voice is seriously spooky always sounding like he is about to explode, yet at the same time mysteriously, almost eerily calm. Yet you know he character is dangerous. He's actually been dead for 7 years, but in my mind at least his legend lives on as one of the coolest, smooth and charismatic voices in all of anime)

- Nobuyuki Hiyama as Shishioh Gai in Yuusha Oh Gaogaigar (My hero and a living god of Gar and hot blooded screams. Nobody beats Nobuyuki Hiyama when it comes to voicing hot blooded heroic characters. And yet he can also do subdued anti-heroes as well and in Gurren-Lagann he dispenses with any heroism and is one of the nastiest villains I've ever seen in an anime as Viral. Yet no matter what he is always hot-blooded and you know that at any moment you may be treated to a passionate hot-blooded scream of sheer Gar).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 01:33   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

aya hirano -suzumiya
the girl that played tsukamoto tenma, i forgot her name
gotou yuki? kaede
naru narusegawa, forgot her real name too

for guys

tsukumichi rin, forgot his name, but he's no kyon!
harima
the bad guy lord ipalzzo? sp? from excel saga
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 01:34   Link #3
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I could probably only list 5 seiyuu... and they'd all be women. This goes to show how much I really don't follow anime behind the scenes.

I agree with Maaya Sakamoto though... I love her voice and she's very simple and natural with her characters. Last time I watched Advent Children, I found myself really liking Aerith's voice.. it was very natural and soft for her character. Then I found out she was done by Maaya Sakamoto. I was happy. <3 (And I adore her songs as well... I'll listen to *anything* sung by her.)

I also really like Yui Makino for her voice... It's sooo soft and delicate, but "rich" and unique. She's done Sakura from Tsubasa, but what really got me turned on to her was what she did for ARIA... she did a few songs which just completely made me melt. Ah, that's right, she also was the voice of Misaki from Welcome to the N.H.K... She hasn't had many roles but I really look forward to hearing more of her in the future.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 03:11   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I kind of wanted this to be an attempt at posting both male and female seiyuu names in equal numbers (3 to 3, 4 to 4, 5 to 5), but I also feared this would happen. That is that people would mostly be familiar with the female seiyuu. Hmmmmm..... well we'll see what happens, don't fret the small stuff.

If anyone is confused they can always ask me anything via PM.

By the way Potatochobit, Ilpalzo is done by Takehito Koyasu. And Rin's VA actually is Kyon's VA in a rare relaxed and non-sarcastic sounding and mentally unstable role, which is quite nice for a change. If you want to tell me who Tsukamoto Tenma is I'll be able to tell you the VA and probably some tidbits too.
Old 2007-06-01, 11:17   Link #5
HinaThePrince

Female: Kawakami Tomoko as Utena from SKU, Soi Fong from Bleach and Rosette from Chrno Crusade. My favorite seiyuu ever.

Kappei Yamaguchi as Usopp and L. Brilliant.
HinaThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 13:17   Link #6
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

It's going to be so hard to cut them down to only five for each gender. And the thread is probably going to be merged with the appreciation one but what the heck...

Female:

Mitsuishi Kotono as Mireille Bouquet in Noir. Words can't describer how much I like this character and Kotono's voice is a very big reason for that.

Tanaka Rie as Suigintouin Rozen Maiden. Best voiced female villain, period. I hope she won't waste her immense talent much with roles like Lacus in the future.

Kobayashi Sanae as Madlax in Madlax. The role of a kind killer, played to perfection.

Noto Mamiko asNina in Monster. It's always nice to see Noto playing characters who are not only moe and shy.

Kuwashima Houko as Natarle/Fllay in Gundam SEED. Arguably one of the most versatile seiyuus but I think she outdoes even herself with these two roles. It's true that I didn't have great interest in seiyuus when I watched SEED but still I was so shocked when I realized these two characters were voiced by the same person.

----
Takahashi Rieko as Diana/Kihel in Turn A Gundam (an additional entry because I have watched only two series with her...and I couldn't pick only five). Great when playing the regal, dignified type of character.

Male:

Isobe Tsutomu
- as Inspector Runge in Monster. Plays the "robotic" detective to perfection.

Seki
Toshihiko as Legato in Trigun. He is just awesomely convincing when playing villains and can also play other types of character. Instantly recognizable voice.

Joji Nakata as Count Monte Christo in Gankutsuou. Simply brilliant performance, his character dominates every scene even when he is not seen but only heard.

Koyasu Takehito as...he has like a million great roles, let's say as Mu in Gundam SEED (man, so many of entries feature in this anime and I don't even like it too much).

Miyano Mamoru as Tamaki in Ouran Host Club.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 08:03   Link #7
Honey_and_Cleaver

Miyuki Sawashiro - Shinku in Rozen Maiden,Sara Galager in Mai Otome, Puchiko Charact in Digi Charat, etc

Naomi Shindoh - Shizuru in Mai Otome, Cagali in GS, etc

Nayako Kawasumi - Sara Werec in Soukou no Strain, Saber in Fate Stay Night, Chikane in Kannazuki no Miko, etc

Daisuke Ono - Syuu Aiba in Kissdum, Kazuma Yagami in Kaze no Stigma, Yukito in AIR,Mabashi in Bleach,Sven Cal Bayan in Gundam Stargazer,etc

Masakazu Morita - Ichigo in Bleach, Auel in GSD,etc

Juuinichi Suwabe - Grimjaw in Bleach, Yoshida in Peacemaker, etc

Takashi Kondo - Train in Black Cat, Ralph Werec in Soukou no Strain, D-roy in Bleach, Leopold in Scrap Princess, Hyouya in Hitman Reborn, Iolaus in Heroic Age,etc

Jouji Nakata - Alucard in Hellsing, Paya tan in Mahou Touge, Hijikata in Peace Maker, etc

Akira Ashida - Athrun Zala from GS, Hakkai in Gensomaden Saiyuki, etc

Toshihiko Seki - Raw le Kreuz in GS, Sanzo in Gensomaden Saiyuki, etc

Tomokazu Seki - Brandon Heat in Gun Grave, Gilgamesh in Fate Stay Night, Yzak from GS, Sousuke Sagara in Full Metal Panic!
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 21:44   Link #8
overthere!

Send a message via AIM to overthere! Send a message via MSN to overthere! Send a message via Yahoo to overthere!
Rie Tanaka - Lacus Clyne Gundam Seed
Hirano Aya - Haruhi Suzumiya

They both can control their pitch amazing well, according to the situation their character is is. They can become serious at times, and then completely innocent at other times.
overthere! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 23:55   Link #9
Fruitfly

Female
- Ayako Kawasumi - My first favorite VA who I first started liking when I saw To Heart (Akari). Shes also Mahoro in Mahoromatics, Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi, Saber in Fate/Stay Night, Mogi in Initial D, Henrietta in Zero no Tsukaima, Elie from Rave, lalala list is too long.
- Rie Kugimiya - mentioned above. First heard her in Hand Maid May then in Pitaten. But I like her in Yakitate!! Japan, Shana and Hayate.
- Fumiko Orikasa - First heard her in Scrapped Princess as Pacifica. She's also Rukia from Bleach and Himeko from Pani Poni Dash.
- Ai Shimizu - Tamao from Strawberry Panic, Minawa from Mahoro, Mikoto from Mai-Hime. (They need to give her more roles!)
- Shizuka Itou - Tamaki from To Heart 2, Wirhelmina from Shana, Hinagiku from Hayate.

Male
- Takashi Kondo - Train in Black Cat (mentioned above)
- Norio Wakamoto - He's got the deepest voice in anime I think Onsokumaru from Ninja Nonsense, Mechazawa in Cromartie, and the narrator in Hayate.
- Tomokazu Sugita - Rin in Shuffle, Yuuichi in Kanon 2006, and Kyon in TMoHS.
- Tomokazu Seki - Have to agree with the poster above. I liked him in Full Metal Panic.
- Kazuya Nakai - He's Zoro from One Piece. Also heard him in Gintama.
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 00:44   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthere! View Post
Rie Tanaka - Lacus Clyne Gundam Seed
Hirano Aya - Haruhi Suzumiya

They both can control their pitch amazing well, according to the situation their character is is. They can become serious at times, and then completely innocent at other times.
I had planned this to take into account both male and female voice actors. I'm hoping people will keep it that way from now on.

@Honey and Cleaver: Good list, but I also wanted to keep it even between them. You've got 7 males and 3 females listed.

I don't mean to sound like a nag, but I hope people will read what I have in mind for the thread from now on before posting. It's in the first post I make. Thanks
Old 2007-06-04, 10:20   Link #11
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Since I've only been watching anime for the past three years, these will all be recent stars and recent roles, but here goes.

men

Koyasu Takehito -- Sa Sakujun in Saiunkoku. The most hypnotic voice going.

Sugita Tomokazu -- Kyon in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, above all. The dry wit seems to suit his nature.

Namikawa Daisuke -- Koyuki in BECK. Not the most masculine voice, but one that I find so attractive. As Maiku in Onegai Twins, as Iks in The Third.

Seki Tomokazu -- A true pro. From Chiaki in Nodame Cantabile to Sousuke in Full Metal Panic to the King in Saiunkoku.

Miyano Mamoru -- Light in Death Note. The Hirano Aya of male seiyuus: a fast-rising talent with good range (from Light all the way to Tamaki in Ouran HS Host Club), a fine singing voice, and good looks.

Other favorites: Yamaguchi Kappei (L in Death Note), Suwabe Jun'ichi (Ren in Karin), Kondou Takashi (Ralph in Soukou no Strain), Ono Daisuke (for me, a breakthrough role as Kazuma in Kaze no Stigma), Fujiwara Keiji (Shuuji in Honey & Clover), Taniyama Kishou (Ken-chan in Lamune).

women:

Kuwashima Houko -- Shuurei in Saiunkoku Monogatari. This is such a perfect characterization of the cute but strong-minded girl who becomes the first female official in an imaginary ancient China, as well as the apple of several men's eyes, including the king's. Her voice is so flexible and expressive.

Paku Romi
-- Nana Oosaki in NANA. Just watch it. True power. This is the same person who was Loran Cehak in Turn A Gundam? It is certainly the same person who is Teresa in Claymore.

Kawasumi Ayako -- There is nothing she can't do. Her most recent role, as Nono in Hitohira, shows how finely she can pitch her performances. But the role that made me fall in love with her ability was Lafiel in Crest of Stars. Or was it Kurau in Kurau Phantom Memory. Or was it...? Lol.

Hirano Aya -- She wasn't anything special until Haruhi in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, and she would never have made this list until her amazing, deeply emotional performance as Layla in NANA. Even now, I am putting her here as much from anticipation as past performance. But her performances as Sanae in Sumo mo Momo mo and Mei in Manabi Straight, and her totally unexpected comic excess in Lucky Star, confirm her great ability.

Orikasa Fumiko -- From the moving role of Chise in Saikano to the hilarious one of Miu in Ichigo Mashimaro. 'Nuff said.

On this side of the ledger, five is far too small a number for me. Others that belong here, among my top favorites who are also top performers: Tanaka Rie (Hiro in Hataraki Man), Kobayashi Sanae (Maya in Glass Mask), Kawakami Tomoko (Utena in Revolutionary Girl Utena), Nabatame Hitomi (Nobue in Ichigo Mashimaro), Koshimizu Ami (Tenko in Kamisama Kazoku -- she and Hirano Aya are the next big things), Yukana (Dominura in Simoun).

And others who may not be the best (yet?), but are still my great favorites: Saitou Chiwa (Hazuki in Tsukuyomi Moon Phase), Sasaki Nozomi (Nana-chan in Bokura ga Ita), Yahagi Sayuri (Karin in Karin), Noto Mamiko (how about Matsuri in sola?), Asano Masumi (Manatsu in Uta~Kata), Chiba Saeko (how about Dokuro-chan?), Takahashi Rieko (Neviril in Simoun), Takahashi Mikako (Ayu in Honey & Clover), Gotou Yuuko (Nanami in Lamune), Nazuka Kaori (Yun in Simoun).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 00:14   Link #12
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Female :

Horie Yui as Tsukimiya Ayu in Kanon -- I like her voice very much. Her singing voice is also top notch.

Tamura Yukari as Takamichi Nanoha in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha -- I don't believe she's also acting for Morino Ichigo in Onegai! Teacher because the tone is really different. But that's what made her even better!

Male :

Tomokazu Sugita as Aizawa Yuuichi in Kanon -- I really like his cold voice.

Fukuyama Jun as Mutou Kazuki in Busou Renkin -- Being able to take role for different cast such as Lelouch (Code Geass) and Takaki (To Heart 2) is awesome.

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 13:48   Link #13
Cardcaptor

For the female side...

Ueda Kana as Sakura Mikan in Gakuen Alice -- Her kansai-ben melted my heart...

Tamura Yukari as Furude Rika in Higurashi -- I like the fact that she can change from a sugary loli voice to a frightening dominatrix in a matter of seconds.

Noto Makiko as Amaha Masane in Witchblade -- Huge variation of tones in this role.

Kawasumi Ayako as Nodame in Nodame Cantabile -- Never fails to make me laugh at Nodame's antics.

Tanaka Rie as Hiro in Hataraki-man -- Fear, ennui, anger, you name it. She delivers them all.

For the male side...

Norio Wakamoto as Victoream in Gatch Bell -- Catch my heart. Very melon. 'Nuff said.

Koyasu Takehiko as Lezard Valeth in Valkyrie Profile ~ Silmeria -- His creepy performance made really want to punch the character in the face.

Seki Tomokazu as Rentarou Futaba in Futakoi Alternative -- GAR and not-so-GAR lines in one role. Great sense of humor too.

Sugita Tomokazu as Kyon in MoSH -- I love the sarcastic tone.

Ueda Yuji as Morita Shinobu in Honey and Clover -- His antics is golden.
Cardcaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 22:32   Link #14
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Souchiro Hoshi as everyone's favorite godmoding Killer Tomato...because he makes Kira sound not like a hotshot gundam pilot, but like a regular everyday niceguy that you want around you. So far, Killer Tomato=most likable gundam protag. And not the GS crybaby. The GSD decisive one.

Inoue Kikuko as Belldandy and Tanaka Rie as Lacus Clyne for the same essential reason: goddess voices to two goddesses...one literal, one as close as you can get without being literal. Either way, they're both lovable ^_^. Gogo beautiful goddesses. Hell, if Belldandy appeared through my mirror, I'd become religious in a heartbeat.
Old 2007-06-12, 08:01   Link #15
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

My Hitlist(Not in Specific order)

Females:
1.Yuuka Nanri (Henrietta, Yuuki Nao, Juliet Nao Zhang): Great Versatility and It was cool hearing Nanrietta...
2.Rie Tanaka (Suigintou, Maria, Elda/Freya, Tomoe Marguaritte): From Suigintou's Screams of anger, to Maria's tender voice... I really love Rie Tanaka.
3.Saeko Chiba (Ayame, Azumaria Hendric, Natsuki): Very articulate. Different expressions make her characters enjoyable to watch especially Ayame and Natsuki.
4.Kuwatani Natsuko (Urashima Kanako, Suiseiseki, Lutecia):has been a Kanako fanboy since hearing her voice ~desu
5.Aya Hirano (Lumierre, Suzumiya Haruhi, Konata Izumi): Since watching her from Haruhi, I've followed her every role.
6.Ami Koshimizu (Tenma, Claes, Nina, Sae): Goes from insane tone, to moe tone...
7.Noto Mamiko (Matsuri,Hecate,Shinji): So loved her Kira yamato impersonation from FMP Fumoffu. Plus She plays Matsuri, and Matsuri=win.
8.Rie Kugimiya (Alphonse Elric, Kurosaki Karin, Shana,Nagi): When you need a VA for your Tsundere loli, who you gonna call?
9.Miyuki Sawashiro (Mint,Shinku): Just the fact that she voices my second most favorite rozen maiden plus my favorite Galaxy Angel, she's on this list

The Male version is to come....
Old 2007-06-12, 11:58   Link #16
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Seeing the recent blog craze of best male and female seiyuus, here's my humble list, for now.

As I'm writing this list as whoever comes out of my head, a bias towards more recent shows is inevitable, as well as more female than male, so please bear with me.

Male:

Sugita Tomokazu - I had liked his witty sounding voice back when he did Hideki in Chobits. Was even more impressed by his portrayal as Mayama in Honey & Clover and Kyon in Suzumiya Haruhi.

Nakata Joji - Don't you just find his voice deep and foreboding? Even when he's playing Giroro blushing at Natsume in Sergeant Keroro. So full of power and vengeance as the Count of Monte Cristo, and downright creepy and manipulative as Kotomine Kirei in Fate stay/night (especially at each episodes preview).

Seki Tomokazu - Well-known around here that I don't suppose it's necessary for me to add anything about him

Koyasu Takehito - He can play a wide range of characters and yet still manages to make people recognize that it's him instantly. I think his most recent best role has to be Kuroyanagi Ryo in Yakitate, with his ludicrous "reactions" to all the various breads he's eaten.

Yamaguchi Kappei - Best known for Ranma and Inuyasha, shows he's still as impressive as ever when doing L in Death Note.

Other worthy male mentions:
Ueda Yuji, Fujihara Keiji, Ishida Akira, Sasaki Nozomu

Female:

Kawakami Tomoko - All-round actress. In more mainstream titles, she can do young boys like Hikaru in Hikaru no Go, Fuyuki in Sergeant Keroro, spunky or headstrong girls like Rosette Christopher in Chrno Crusade, Soi Fong in Bleach and Ai Mori in Law of Ueki. Her earliest claim to fame is undoubtedly Utena, but I remember her best for her moving role as Misuzu in AIR, as well as Sayuri in Kanon. Who can hate a girl with a sad fate that goes "Gao~" and "Nihaha"?

Hisakawa Aya - Another well-known seiyuu. I really don't need to elaborate further on the praise that others have laid upon her. I thought she would slowly fade into retirement after Kero-chan in CCS, but she showed she can still shine as Haruko in AIR, stealing the show completely in the last few episodes.

Tamura Yukari - Nanoha, what else can I say? But she can evidently do voices other than that of energetic lolis, as can be seen with Midori in Mai HiME/Otome and Mai in Kanon.

Kugimiya Rie - Showed she was impressive as a boy whose sole was stuck in a tin can, then blew people away as a red-haired loli that kicks spectacular ass.

Horie Yui - I find it hard to dislike her sweet voice. Despite what's been going on recently (if you pay attention to the news), I still regard her as a decent performer.

Hirano Aya - Regardless of how some would dismiss her as a fad riding on recent fame, I personally believe her performance (Suzumiya Haruhi, Amane Misa and Izumi Konata) speaks for itself.

Sakamoto Maaya - Like Hisakawa Aya, what else is there for me to add?

Kawasumi Ayako - What can she not do? Another all-rounder, if I may say so myself.

Other worthy female mentions:
Ueda Kana, Saito Chiwa, Nakahara Mai, Mizuki Nana, Nabatame Hitomi, Itou Shizuka
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 16:23   Link #17
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

A seiyuu will often become a fave through a broad range of roles, rather than one role which encompasses their entire work (one role won't illustrate a wide scope of talent imo). For example: Kotono Mitsuishi (Excel, Misato, Mireille, Maze, Koume, Kagura (Fruits Basket) etc) is to me one of the greats, without a shadow of a doubt - the range there is unbelievable and she excels (unintentional pun) in every genre and style of anime. She is probably my fave seiyuu - so I'll stick her right at the top =)

I would say Hitomi Nabatame's natural voice is one of my faves mainly because it is the absolute sex. There isn't much I can add to that one heh! I was also going to mention Ayako Kawasumi, who is simply stellar, but she's been mentioned a few times so I'll be brief. Paku Romi seems like an interesting seiyuu to keep an eye on as well. I'm gonna have to check out Denno Coil for her as well as for the next lady:

1. Junko Noda - Reki (Haibane Renmei)
Love. I say she has a particular talent for comedy and dialect (Nanaho in Gokujo Seitokai, and Kitsune in Love Hina). But I also particularly like her in quietly self destructive roles (Miyabi in Great Teacher Onizuka) - she was so great as Reki in the gem that is Haibane Renmei. Totally recommend that choice, although I also enjoyed her performance as Natchan in Re: Cutie Honey.

2. Satsuki Yukino - Ai Tanabe (Planetes)
Honestly just excellent acting ability, with a very expressive, often quite emotional, voice. I've been able to re-appreciate her talent after seeing her as Mirei in Hitohira (although the role is sadly smaller than what I'd like). I'm guessing most people are going to know her as the human form of Yoriuchi (Bleach) and Kagome (InuYasha), although Ai (Planetes) and Saki (Genshiken) are two of her better central roles for me.

3. Rie Tanaka - Suigintou (Rozen Maiden / Traumend / Ouverture)
There is something about her delivery, I find her voice stunning and it has so much charisma. I've loved seeing her vary her roles (Yomi Mizuhara, Chii, Hiroko Matsukata and that nutter Tomoe etc) and how her voices changes to sinister, witty or moe effect. That said I suppose she's in her element with characters who are slightly unhinged - sort of where a voice is so beautiful it's too good to be true. Suigintou was a wonderful role for her; she is quite a fan of the character too I believe?

4. Sanae Kobayashi - Hitomi Kashiwa (Welcome to the NHK)
Great at playing any gender (I liked how this was played on in Mai HiME and My Otome) as well as any personality type; she's up there as the very best in terms of actual range. I'm guessing she may be most famous as Lucy in Elfen Lied, which was a great part in illustrating the different 'sides' to her voice, almost to an unsettling degree. Looking forward to seeing her role in Baccano! in the summer.

5. Megumi Toyoguchi - Sei Satō (Maria-sama ga Miteru)
Because anyone who can't admit she owns Marimite with her spin as Sei Satou is lying dammit. And in a cast full of wonderful seiyuu, that makes it even more impressive. (Sure it helps that the character is probably the most overtly dynamic and 'free' in a lot of the anime, but it's her delivery which makes Sei charming and endearing imo). It's been nice seeing Toyoguchi-san as Revy in Black Lagoon and Miranda in D.Gray-man recently.

1. Katsuyuki Konishi - Kenta Usui (Karin)
I loved seeing him as Kenta in a weird rom-com; up until then I had him in my mind as 'one of the most suave voices in anime' (quite evident as Soubi in Loveless and Uryuu in Getbackers) which is not exactly a bad thing! I was quite impressed with his Sergay in Mai Otome, although the character wasn't exactly the most popular of the last couple of years.

2. Kenta Miyake - Koshiro (Koi Kaze)
Incredibly deep voice and morose on occasions, but he's wonderful at conveying restraint and passion in stoic characters. Which I'm guessing is particularly difficult.

3. Shō Hayami - Tenzen Yakushiji (Basilisk)
One of the best seiyuu at playing villains - the more ruthless the better - as seen in Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach, although Tenzen still wins there. He's also v adept at contradictory characters (in motive and emotion), the best examples I can think of being Nicholas D. Wolfwood and Naoe Nobutsuna.

4. Hiroaki Hirata - George Kodama (Kaze no Yojimbo)
It was either that role or Sanji from One Piece (I didn't go with that because Kappei Yamaguchi plays my fave male in that series) - great at playing multi-faceted characters, who can sway from one 'extreme' to the other - as well as slightly 'wry' ones.

5. Hidenobu Kiuchi - Kenzo Tenma (Monster)
He's not done that many roles (on the grand scale of things) - but I think he's gaining a bit of attention on these boards recently as the protagonist Hei in Darker Than Black, as well as Ren from NANA. He was also great in Kemonozume - overall I say he does have a talent for quirky unconventional series.

Ahm, that's it.
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 19:13   Link #18
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Needed to do some research on wiki, but here's my list:

Female:

Full Moon/Mitsuki Koyama-myco- her beautiful singing voice alone is worth 11/10 points.

Naru Narusegawa, Sawachika Eri, Aya Tsukimiya- Horie Yui- she has such a cute voice as a seiyu, but her singing voice is also amazing

Saber, Atoli, Aoi- Ayako Kawasumi- I just like how she sounds.

Suzumiya Haruhi, Misa, Konata- I acutally don't like her as Misa, but the other two it's hard to dispute she was A++

Yakumo Tsukamoto, Aya Toujou, Yuka, Ai Enma- Mamiko Noto

Mai Tokiha, Nagisa Aoi, Rena Ryugū- Mai Nakahara- I'm getting tired of writing reasons...

Male:

Kyon, Hideki Motosuwa, Rin Tsuchimi- Tomokazu Sugita

Jesus Yamato, Souichiro Nagi, Keiichi Maebara- Sōichirō Hoshi

Kenji Harima...errr wat else? >.>- Hiroki Takahashi

Yagami Light, Tamaki Suou- Mamoru Miyano
Old 2007-12-16, 06:58   Link #19
Siegel Clyne

Tanaka Rie, Seiyuu Queen of Female Villain Roles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Tanaka Rie as Suigintou in Rozen Maiden. Best voiced female villain, period. I hope she won't waste her immense talent much with roles like Lacus in the future.

Perhaps best known for playing cute, sweet, gentle heroines like Chii (Chi) in Chobits, Lacus Clyne in Gundam Seed, Kujou Hikari (Shiny Luminous) in Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart and Maria in Hayate no Gotoku! [Hayate the Combat Butler], Suigintou is one in Tanaka Rie's evergrowing line of antagonistic, evil, and villainous roles - Morganna Mode Gone in .hack//SIGN, Tomoe Marguerite in My-Otome, Nomura (Takagi) in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, Yamanobe Sayara in Mnemosyne -Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi-, Helga Neumann in Phantasy Star Portable (PSP multiplayer RPG), etc. - securing her position as a first choice among voice actresses to portray sinister, crazy, maniacal, psychopathic, sadistic evil villains.

In episode 35 of the Hayate no Gotoku! (Hayate the Combat Butler) anime (2007-2008?), Maria briefly dons a Suigintou custume. This parodies Tanaka Rie's role as Suigintou and her penchant for cosplay (costume play). She has cosplayed or dressed up as Suigintou, one of her favorite characters, on more than one occassion.

This is in itself nothing too unusual, as a number of Hayate seiyuu have had their roles in other anime parodied in the Hayate anime.

But there is much, much more...

For the week of Monday, December 10, 2007 - Sunday, December 16, 2007, in the 156th chapter of the Hayate no Gotoku! (Hayate the Combat Butler) manga by Hata Kenjirou serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday magazine published by Shougakukan, after getting poked in the face in bed by Nagi who is suffering from muscle pain, Maria says, "Junk ni shimasu yo" (I'll turn you into junk!").

This is Maria's version of Suigintou's famous phrase in the Rozen Maiden anime series, "Junk ni shite ageru(wa)!!" ("I'll turn you into junk!!"). Hata Kenjirou is paying tribute to Suigintou voice actress Tanaka Rie, who also voices Maria in the Hayate no Gotoku! anime.

The Rozen Maiden anime is a topic in the highly popular, long-running manga by Akimoto Osamu, Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo (aka Kochikame), serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump magazine published by Shuueisha, the week of December 3, 2007 - December 9, 2007. Kochikame protagonist Ryoutsu Kankichi, aka "Ryou-san," attends a quiz show. A question at the quiz show asks who is the first doll in Rozen Maiden? The answer: Suigintou.

Many Japanese and foreign fans note that Nomura/Takagi, the mysterious, evil woman with long, silver hair who first appears in episode 17 of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai anime (2007), bears an unmistakable resemblance to Suigintou ("Ginsama") from the Rozen Maiden anime series, both in appearance and in voice. The Japanese voice actor (seiyuu) for Suigintou, Tanaka Rie, also voices Nomura/Takagi. According to a number of Japanese fans, the Higurashi staff modeled Nomura/Takagi after Suigintou and specifically cast Tanaka Rie to play her, as an homage to Suigintou (and her voice actress).

The Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i Vol. 3 Internet Radio CD, starring Tanaka Rie as Suigintou, went on sale in Japan on Wednesday, December 5, 2007.

The January 2008 issue of Animage magazine published by Tokuma Shoten, which went on sale Monday, December 10, 2007 in Japan, includes as an extra gift an Animage original edition of "Gin-sama Chronicle 'Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i'" Internet radio CD. Among other things, Animage is apparently banking on Suigintou's popularity to help sell more copies of the magazine.

Use this link to the page on the Animage official website for the January 2008 issue of Animage when the February 2008 of Animage comes out in January 2008.

(Incidentally, the Animage original edition of Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i Internet radio CD hints at a possible third season of the Rozen Maiden anime in the works. Some Japanese fans speculate that the third season will start no earlier than Fall 2008, because the director of the Rozen Maiden anime series, Matsuo Kou, will be busy with the Kure-nai anime in early 2008.)

In the official TBS Rozen Maiden Traumend character popularity poll back in February 2006, Suigintou finished in second place, behind Suiseiseki who finished in first place. Souseiseki finished in third place, followed by Shinku in fourth place.

Since Rozen Maiden Ouverture (December 2006) and Sugintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i (January 2007-), however, Suigintou, also known as Gin-sama, has surged in popularity.

According to a post on the 764th Rozen Maiden Synthesis anime thread at 2ch, an original investigation conducted by the drama CD production company (Mellow Head?) finds that, in terms of Rozen Maiden character popularity, Suigintou is now No. 1, followed by Suiseiseki at No. 2.

The Alice Election Revenge Poll, which ends New Year's Eve, Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:59:59PM Japan Time, supports the findings of the Rozen Maiden drama CD company.

Rank Character Number of Votes
01. Suigintou 3,517 votes
02. Suiseiseki 2,149 votes
03. Hinaichigo 1,514 votes
04. Shinku 1,271 votes
05. Souseiseki 1,266 votes
06. Barasuishou 833 votes
07. Shibasaki Motoharu 516 votes
08. Suzumi Tamao (Strawberry Panic!) 205 votes
09. Minamoto Chikaru (Strawberry Panic!) 202 votes
10. Kanaria 130 votes

There are 12,323 total votes.
(Poll results are from a short while ago.)

UPDATE: Final Alice Election Revenge Poll Results - Poll Closed on Monday, December 31, 2007, 11:59:59PM Japan Time

Rank Character Number of Votes
01. Suigintou (Ginsama) 3,786 votes
02. Suiseiseki 2,201 votes
03. Souseiseki 2,004 votes
04. Shinku 1,736 votes
05. Hinaichigo 1,522 votes
06. Barasuishou 841 votes
07. Shibasaki Motoharu 520 votes
08. Suzumi Tamao (Strawberry Panic) 206 votes
09. Minamoto Chikaru (Strawberry Panic) 202 votes
10. Kanaria 141 votes

There are 13,987 total votes.

Animage's Rozen Maiden Doll Ranking Poll on "Who You Want To Spend Christmas With?" also supports Suigintou as now the most popular character in Rozen Maiden.

01. Suigintou
02. Shinku
03. Suiseiseki
04. Hinaichigo
05. Souseiseki
06. Kanaria
07. Barasuishou
08. JUM (Jun) / Megu / Rozen
(They're dolls?)

Japanese fans have likened Suigintou to male anime villain icons - Char Aznable in Kidou Senshi Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam), Freeza (Frieza) in Dragon Ball Z, Dio Brando in Jojo no Kimyouna Bouken (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), and Raou (Raoh) in Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) - to explain her surging popularity, continuing marketability, ongoing tribute from Japanese fans and Japanese creative people in the anime and manga industries alike, and seemingly inevitable enshrinement as an anime villain icon, perhaps the first for a female character.

Because of the dearth of truly memorable, enduringly popular female villains, Japanese fans regularly compare female villains voiced by Tanaka Rie - such as Suigintou and Tomoe Marguerite in My-Otome - to male villains. And not only to male villains from anime.

After "Tanaka Rie's extraordinary acting performance" ("Tanaka Rie-san no kaien" -- Obara Masakazu, My-Otome director) as Tomoe Marguerite [and Fiar Grosse] in episode 22 of My-Otome/Mai-Otome which head writer Yoshino Hiroyuki commented, "I take my hat off to" ("Datsubou desu"), and left director Obara Masakazu in awe (see page 115 of the My-Otome Anime Perfect Guide, published by Akita Shoten, ISBN: 425313016X), some Japanese fans at 2ch likened Tomoe Marguerite to the English theatrical villain Richard III, the titular character in William Shakespeare's play Richard III.

An early 2006 entry on an English language anime blog, whose URL I can no longer find on Google, described Tomoe Marguerite as a theatrical villain.

Rozen Maiden director Matsuo Kou's initial image for Suigintou in the Rozen Maiden anime differed from the original image of Suigintou in the Rozen Maiden manga by PEACH-PIT. When auditioning for the role of Suigintou, Tanaka Rie dressed up all in black. (Going by her pictures on the Internet, Rie apparently likes to wear black clothes.) Although her image of Suigintou differed from his image of Suigintou at first, Matsuo Kou decided right then and there that Tanaka Rie is Suigintou. There were to be no rival candidate for the role.

Suigintou seems to have captured the imagination of not only Japanese fans of anime, but also of Japanese creative artists and producers of anime and manga, like no other female villain in anime has done before.

And a major reason for this is Tanaka Rie. The anime version of Suigintou is largely Tanaka Rie's interpretation of her, if Matsuo Kou is to be believed on why he cast Tanaka Rie as the black winged doll of darkness.

Or as a Japanese observer in this post on the 765th Rozen Maiden Synthesis anime thread at 2ch puts it, Suigintou "brainwashes" anime/manga creative artists and staffs into paying tribute to her the way Pink Religious Sect Founder (Pinku no Kyousosama) Lacus Clyne, another Tanaka Rie character, "brainwashes" Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, and people all over the CE Universe to do her bidding in Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED DESTINY. Still another Tanaka Rie character, Kujou Hikari (Shiny Luminous) in Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart, "brainwashes" Tako Cafe owner Fujita Akane into believing they are cousins.

Ever since the debut of Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED several years ago, Japanese posters at 2ch like to point out the "brainwashing" power of characters voiced by Tanaka Rie.

From late 2002 to early 2007, Lacus Clyne seemingly had also "brainwashed" tens of thousands of Japanese readers of Newtype Japan, Animage, and Animedia into voting for her as the most popular female anime character, dominating annual popularity polls in those magazines like no other female character has done in history.

Tanaka Rie characters do seem to have a way with "brainwashing" Japanese fans into voting them No. 1 in character popularity polls, such as Futami Eriko in the KimiKiss game and Kirijou Mitsuru in the Persona 3 game

Last edited by Siegel Clyne : 2007-12-18 at 20:40 [19:40 PST]. Reason: Added links for Lacus Clyne's domination of Newtype Japan, Animage, and Animedia popularity polls from late 2002 to early 2007. Added another link for Matsuo Kou on Tanaka Rie as Suigintou.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne : 2008-02-10 at 11:58 [10:58 PST].. Reason: Added links for Lacus Clyne's domination of Newtype Japan, Animage, and Animedia popularity polls from late 2002 to early 2007. Added another link for Matsuo Kou on Tanaka Rie as Suigintou.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2008-12-11 at 02:24. Reason: Added links for Lacus Clyne's domination of Newtype Japan, Animage, and Animedia popularity polls from late 2002 to early 2007. Added another link for Matsuo Kou on Tanaka Rie as Suigintou.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 08:08   Link #20
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'll drop a list later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Souchiro Hoshi as everyone's favorite godmoding Killer Tomato...because he makes Kira sound not like a hotshot gundam pilot, but like a regular everyday niceguy that you want around you. So far, Killer Tomato=most likable gundam protag. And not the GS crybaby. The GSD decisive one.
As a massive Souchiro Hoshi fan I'm slightly offended/astounded that anyone would consider Kira Yamato as his best role (same if someone listed Takana Rie and Lacus). For a similar vocal tone his Keiichi Maebara from Higurashi is far superior and than you have his "bad ass" roles like Kazuma (Scryed), Yuuki Aiba (Infinite Ryvius) & Makato (Ghost Hound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin-sama
- Mamiko Noto as Hecate in Shakugan No Shana (Has a great sense of humour in other roles and her haunting and somewhat creepy voice for Hecate left a lasting impression on me. Never has a voice resonated in my head so completely, as if it would all but consume me. She's definetely one of a kind and I like her deeper voice that sits her apart from a lot of the squeaky high-pitched roles out there)
You forgot to mention her Hecate shows what she might sound like if she did a Hentai
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote