View Single Post
Old 2013-06-11, 18:45   Link #552
Siegel Clyne

Ghost in the Shell's Older Kusanagi Motoko voices Merlwyb in FFXIV: ARR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
In this post on SQUARE ENIX's FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone Forums, Rorn lists the Japanese voice actors revealed so far to be voice acting in FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN:

It seems that Yoshi-P, et al., and Square Enix are going all out on a stellar Japanese voice acting cast for the game.

I already knew that Tanaka Rie (Female Miqo'te Voice Type 2 in the original FINAL FANTASY XIV) voices Kan-E-Senna and Garuda, Nakamura Yuuichi voices Thancred, Tachibana Shinnosuke voices new character Alphinaud and Sawashiro Miyuki voices someone (a number of people as well as I thought she would be voicing Merlwyb, but it turns out to be Minfilia instead), but I did not know about who the other Japanese voice actors would be that were revealed at Niconico Chokaigi 2.

Once I learned it would be all-star Japanese voice acting cast, one of the first names which popped in my head was seiyuu veteran Ootsuka Akio, partly given his prominence in Japanese dubs of foreign language, live action films and television shows.

Another name which immediately popped in my head was veteran seiyuu Tanaka Atsuko. And there she is.

(Maybe she voices Merlwyb.
With roles like Ezra Scarlet in Fairy Tail under her belt, Oohara Sayaka could also voice Merlwyb.)

Another name which immediately popped in my head was Tanaka Rie's husband, veteran seiyuu Yamadera Kouichi - but, alas, he has not been listed so far - also partly given his prominence in Japanese dubs of foreign language films and television shows, animated as well as live action.

Yamadera has done the Japanese voices for a number of Disney characters, such as Beast in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. His Donald Duck is 100% dead on. He is Donald Duck in Japanese.

I also thought Inoue Kikuko would be on the list. But so far, no go.

Ikeda Masako is known for mother/motherly/matronly roles. Her "spiritual disciples" would include Inoue Kikuko, Oohara Sayaka, and to a certain extent, Tanaka Rie (maybe more so an oneesama type, e.g., Nishizumi Maho in GIRLS und PANZER; Kan-E-Senna has "oneesama" vibes).

Mother Crystal sounds like a role for Ikeda Masako.

Of the Japanese voice actors revealed so far but with no role listed, who do you think they voice in FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN?
As I thought she might, Tanaka Atsuko indeed voices Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn.

Watching a bunch of game videos because of E3, I instantly recognized Tanaka Atsuko's voice as Merlywb (2:27 - 2:34) in the Japanese language version of the FINAL FANTASY XIV "CRYSTAL'S CALL" Trailer video uploaded today by the official FINAL FANTASY XIV CHANNEL on YouTube:

FINAL FANTASY XIV "CRYSTAL'S CALL" トレーラー

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sawashiro Miyuki is instantly recognizable as the voice of Minfilia (2:14 - 2:20).

And Kan-E-Senna sounds like Tanaka Rie (2:34 - 2:40).

But does Garuda (1:32 - 1:41) sound like Tanaka Rie, whom Tanaka Rie also voices?

Tanaka Rie spoke in Garuda's voice live at NicoNico Chokaigi 2 on April 29, 2013, so that indeed is her as Garuda:

【FF14ニコ超2】田中理恵スペシャルトークショー 前半

NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2013-06-11 at 19:20.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote