AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-06-11, 15:19   Link #61
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

I'm more of a Baroque person, so Vivaldi, Handel, Bach, Buxtehude. But Classical period's good as well :3 <3 Mozart.

But fugues are annoyingly hard to play. ;-;
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 09:39   Link #62
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan

Send a message via AIM to deviousj
I happen to be a big Classical junkie; just got into art music about nine months ago. It's a bit hard to list off favorite composers since there's so many extraordinary ones. Recently, I've been listening to a lot of Prokofiev. Three of my favorite compositions that I wished more people would listen to are Bartok's Cantata Profana, Taneyev's Piano Quintet, and Kalinnikov's First Symphony; honestly, they're wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
But fugues are annoyingly hard to play. ;-;
Yeah, articulation in fugues can be a pain; technically, they can be difficult as well, but articulation's still much more of a problem.
deviousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 15:43   Link #63
General_Norris
Ouendan member

I generally like classiacl music but lately I find that it is somewhat "boring" because I do not find it dramatic enough. It's a bit too soft for my tastes. So, Can anyone recommend my some composers taht could appeal me more?
General_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 15:53   Link #64
Manifold

Look for the music of Aram Katchaturian, especially the Sabre Dance or the Masquerade.

Or, the music of the esteemed Joe Hisaishi, for example, Oriental Wind.
Manifold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 20:13   Link #65
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan

Send a message via AIM to deviousj
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Norris View Post
I generally like classiacl music but lately I find that it is somewhat "boring" because I do not find it dramatic enough. It's a bit too soft for my tastes. So, Can anyone recommend my some composers taht could appeal me more?
Well, there's always the Bartok piece I mentioned earlier, the Cantata Profana. You can also listen to Beethoven's Third Symphony "Eroica"and 23rd Piano Sonata "Appassionata", Schubert's Eight Symphony "Unfinished", Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto and Ruy Blas Overture, Prokofiev's Toccata, Schnittke's Second String Quartet, Saint-Saen's Second Piano Concerto, and Shostokovich's Eight String Quartet and Fifth Symphony. There's obviously many more, but those are the ones came to me at the moment. Honestly though, if you want drama in music then you probably would enjoy listening to individual movements more than entire works.
deviousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 00:07   Link #66
Korean_boi
BBOY

Send a message via AIM to Korean_boi
I'm a fan of francois devienne

since i play the flute

all sorts of concertos are fun to listen to. mozart concerto in G and also in D.

poem-charles griffes was a modern piece. also interesting.

most of my fav songs are written specifically for flute. but go ahead and give a try!

strangley enough, im a fan of rap too

bboy+flutist+gamer=sarang
Korean_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 10:21   Link #67
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Arrow still digdiggin'

May I be a bit pretentious and say I'm proud "my" thread has been sort of popular? Some posts are even very useful and I really enjoyed the story about Bell and chaconne at the subway station.

Problem is, my primary intention was to create a thread about classical music IN anime, not classical music IN general.
For instance, i liked the review of "la corda d'oro". Hope there will be more soon. Please teach me lots!
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 19:58   Link #68
d.sinclair

Cool, a classical thread

I haven't recently heard much classical in anime recently, except for Hosaka's cheesified theme music in Minami-ke. Shame... ;_;

Nothing to do with anime, but just wanted to get out there that the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra is pure win. they're like...the Gurren Lagann of classical music.

Hoping this thread becomes active again
d.sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 06:15   Link #69
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Hmm...not too often used. I think what comes to most people's minds would be Evangelion's heavy use of classical towards the end of the series + in the Death and Rebirth movie.

Assembling the characters into a pretty balanced chamber group was an interesting idea for Canon in D.

My favorite genre of classical is Baroque, especially Bach and Vivaldi. I mostly use it to crunch through my calculus/physics as homework music.
Old 2007-12-22, 20:30   Link #70
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
There's few genre that beats classical music.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 01:41   Link #71
Siegel Clyne

Classical Music Is Truly Classical

What makes music truly classical is music that lasts down through the ages - music by Bach, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Debussy, Stravinsky, Ravel, etc.

Since it is Christmastime, Tchaikovsky's ballet music for The Nutcracker (1892) - a treasure trove of everlastingly popular tunes - can be heard everywhere today, from holiday movie fare to television commercial jingles.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 04:47   Link #72
miyasashi
smart went crazy.

Send a message via AIM to miyasashi
Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D Major.
That's my favorite classical song, helps me relax and sleep too.
It has a beautiful sound!
miyasashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 06:28   Link #73
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Arvo Pärt is a god.
Old 2007-12-29, 13:41   Link #74
Rooxy

Humm.. I like some classical songs^^ like to Zanarkand.>> does it count?
But I'm more into Jpop and Jrock.. but when it comes to play music I perfer more "calmer" music...^^
Rooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 01:25   Link #75
d.sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Arvo Pärt is a god.
hmm can't say I'm a big fan of minimalism, but it is very cool and gives a unique feeling when it works.
i like fratres, kremer has a great recording. it gets pretty freakin hard for the cello though. this kind of stuff requires great concentration from audience and performer, not something you can let yourself go emotionally with.
Old 2008-01-07, 13:51   Link #76
ohitislove

I love listening to Classical music when I do homework too. There is nothing like Mozart to ease the pain of Quantitative Research Methods.
ohitislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 13:57   Link #77
Mueti
あ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sinclair View Post
not something you can let yourself go emotionally with.
I dare you to say that again after listening to "Alina".
Old 2008-01-13, 13:44   Link #78
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

There's one piece I absolutely loved, Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 "From the New World", as it has remarkably lively animation through the four movements.

More recently, I've come to like Mozart's/Süssmayr take on Dies Irae, but I've yet to find a record with the complete requiem!
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 14:34   Link #79
d.sinclair

^there should be plenty of recordings of mozart's requiem. go with something like karajan/berlin philharmonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I dare you to say that again after listening to "Alina".
well i do agree his work is very beautiful and certainly emotional, but i always felt that there's a certain feeling of restraint in his work, the emotions are there but he's not going crazy with them as opposed to someone like, i dunno, Brahms. i feel the same way with a lot of minimalism, probably because its so structured.
Old 2008-01-14, 13:54   Link #80
Mueti
あ!

I get what you're saying, it's just that I don't conceive the music in such a way. Maybe it's exactly because of this "restraint" (which I don't percieve as such) but I don't think I have heard more emotional music, ever.
When it comes to Steve Reich or the likes, I can kind of agree with you, even though I still like his works a whole fucking lot.