AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-11, 12:35   Link #241
Kirarakim

Oh wow the scratching in episode 11. That was the first time I was seriously freaked out by a scene in Mononoke (including the first Bakeneko). I also loved how where they were scratching was reflective of their crimes.

Of course most people already saw 12 so I am very behind with this comment but I thought for once I would say something instead of lurking on this thread.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 17:02   Link #242
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

SHS has subbed 12.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 12:37   Link #243
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Sorry for the dbl post but honeysempai and I found the Mononoke fanart thread on 4chan last night and this stuff needs to be posted *_*

That is a small portion of what we found.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-10-12, 15:33   Link #244
Dop
Mmmm....

Just watched 10, 11 and 12.

Spookily, I was idly scratching my arm when all the scratching started in ep. 11.
I stopped then...

When the end credits started to roll on episode 12, I was a bit confused, but all was cleared up by the end.

It'll be interesting to see if this gets licensed and by who. You might expect the company who licenced Ayakashi to pick it up - but that was Geneon, so that's pretty unlikely unless they sort out their difficulties properly...

I'm hoping for a second season to roll around next year. We need more of the Medicine Seller!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 15:43   Link #245
Vamos

Haha, I was one of the Anons posting stuff in that thread last night and helped max out the other Mononoke thread. There's an awful lot of kickass Mononoke fanart out there

Watched the last episode today; I teared up when they revealed the truth about the girl's death. That poor girl (Incidentally, I also cried when they showed the truth in last year's Bakeneko arc too. I'm so soft ;_;)

I'd love to see this get licensed too, it deserves to be. I'm quite sure someone will pick it up; Funimation or some other company, maybe.....
Vamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 16:18   Link #246
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamos View Post
Haha, I was one of the Anons posting stuff in that thread last night and helped max out the other Mononoke thread. There's an awful lot of kickass Mononoke fanart out there
Sweet, we def appreicate the fanart uploads. The mononoke comm on lj is spazzing right now cuz of that and a few other things XD
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-10-12, 16:24   Link #247
Vamos

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Sweet, we def appreicate the fanart uploads. The mononoke comm on lj is spazzing right now cuz of that and a few other things XD
Really? Heh, I was only simply spreading the fanart love I'll have to take a look at this community!

Last edited by Vamos; 2007-10-12 at 17:03.
Vamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 18:18   Link #248
QueenOfHearts

Just finished this series yesterday and I liked it a lot. Will there be more? Oh yeah, that's nice fanart.
QueenOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 00:46   Link #249
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
So, hit me if this has already been discussed to death, but was the Apothecary a Mononoke himself?

1) Obviously, his white-haired, brown-skinned avatar with the sword is an Ayakashi. It is the same Ayakashi as the Masked Man from the earlier story of the abused housewife.

2) The Medicine Seller himself is the Masked Man's host. When an Ayakashi invades a human host, it gains its Form.

3) When an Ayakashi with a Form gains its Truth and Regret, it becomes a Mononoke.

4) Medicine Seller's Regret, his state of mind (purpose) is to eradicate other Mononoke from this world. This is the reasons why is came to be.

5) Medicine Seller's Truth is a mystery to me. Truth is the manner in which a Mononoke was created. Sadly, we know nothing of the Medicine Seller's past, thus we have no idea how he got involved with the Masked Man.

But still, this is rather interesting...

The ending was brilliant, in my opinion. That smile was shiver-inducing...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 12:42   Link #250
Snoop'

Well I won't debate about the origin of the Apothecary (if I recall correctly, he said that he was a human in Ayakashi), since I don't think it's the point of the series...

However, I think you are (totally) wrong about your 2) and 3) : the Apothecary explains it all at the end of ep.12 : ayakashi just exist in this world ("kono yo ni aru"), while humans live in this world ("kono yo ni ikiru"). Ayakashi in themselves are neither good or evil, and they come in varieties of shape. When a ayakashi meets strong human feelings, they can turn into a mononoke, which must not exist in this world ("kono yo ni attewanaranu mononoke ga umareru").
For example, in Bakeneko v2, the pique/powerlessness/pride/resentment of Setsuko encounters the ayakashi of the many cats that were run over by the train under the bridge, and form the mononoke.
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 14:24   Link #251
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I am not wrong. Nopperabo was the Apothecary. Or, should I say, an illusion created by him, since the real Nopperabo was not the Masked Man, but Ochou herself.

And it is clear that Ayakashi would not be able to turn into a Mononoke if there is no human and his/her suffering. The human creates mononoke's Reason (or Regret, however you want to translate kotowari). It's a symbiotic relationship.

Also, in folk traditions, mononoke ARE in fact evil, vengeful spirits, a type of yokai.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 17:22   Link #252
Snoop'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Also, in folk traditions, mononoke ARE in fact evil, vengeful spirits, a type of yokai.
I said that ayakashi were neither good or evil, not mononoke...

Maybe your expression "invades a human host" is improper. It sounds as if "ayakashi -> human = mononoke", instead "ayakashi + human resentment = mononoke".
Ah. Whatever.

So, still no one to get an account at Niconico (see a few posts above) to watch this awesome AMV ?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1237215
Old 2007-10-16, 17:31   Link #253
Snoop'

Official site updated with pictures frome the first DVD box.
Go to http://www.mononoke-anime.com/ , click on the DVD section in the bottom right corner, and then click on ブックレットの中身&製品写真を見る. There are a dozen of pictures from the box and the 32 p. booklet. (Note : seems to work better in IE)

Ah, I can't wait for t10/26, and then my granny will eventually send the DVD box from Japan to France !
Old 2007-11-07, 23:59   Link #254
Siegel Clyne

Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi DVD Selling Suprisingly Well in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
Anime DVD Titles with Initial Volume Released in 2006

<snip>

Ayakashi -Samurai Horror Tales *2,140 (3) (Toei Animation/Geneon USA)
2006/07/07 **,*** Yotsuya Kaidan Limited Edition (Four episodes)
2006/07/07 **,*** Tenshu Monogatari Limited Edition (Four episodes)
2006/07/07 *2,140 Bakeneko Limited Edition (Three episodes)

Last edited by eggplant : 2007-11-03 at 03:58 [GMT].

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
Anime DVD Titles with Initial Volume Released in 2007

<snip>

Mononoke (Toei Animation)
2007/10/26 *9,374 Vol. 1 "Zashiki Warashi" (Two episodes)

Last edited by eggplant : 2007-11-03 at 04:36 [GMT]. Reason: Updated sales as of the fourth week of October (denoted in red)

Oricon DVD sales data show that Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi, which contains the first two episodes of the show, has sold more copies during its first week of release in Japan than the entire Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales series has sold combined in Japan.

Preliminary Oricon DVD sales data indicate that Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi has sold at least a few thousand more copies during its second week of release in Japan.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 01:21   Link #255
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi DVD Selling Suprisingly Well in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
Oricon DVD sales data show that Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi, which contains the first two episodes of the show, has sold more copies during its first week of release in Japan than the entire Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales series has sold combined in Japan.
Sells surprisingly well? Nope. I'm not surprised.

Though I notice it did just a little more than half as well as ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~. That's surprising.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 01:53   Link #256
Siegel Clyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Sells surprisingly well? Nope. I'm not surprised.

Though I notice it did just a little more than half as well as ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~. That's surprising.
It is surprising a number of Japanese fans at 2ch, because its predecessor, Bakeneko, sold comparatively little.

ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~ sold a bit more than 10,000 DVD copies during its first week of release in Japan. Mononoke Vol. 1: Zashiki Warashi looks like it is on pace to surpass ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~ in total DVD copies sold in Japan.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 02:09   Link #257
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thanks for adding a time axis to that statistic for me. That puts it in perspective.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 09:58   Link #258
wao
OK.

Yes! More rabid fans must go and spread the goodness. Finally a good show that is getting the sales it deserves. Compared to the rather sad performance of Dennou Coil....

I think Bakeneko didn't do so well because I'm guessing it wasn't so well advertised or whatever and it came completely out of the blue, but I'm sure its qualities were spread by word of mouth and eventually a lot more people would hear about a successor. Especially since it's longer, which means it has a wider timeframe for people to check it out. It's also great that industry professionals liked Bakeneko and would probably like some aspect of Mononoke.

The sales on amazon via niconico douga are pretty awesome too (I think they got 500+ alone for Bakeneko just through that). I'm only making a very wild and uneducated guess here but the fact that the episodes haven't been deleted off niconico (not the last time I checked, anyway) might have actually helped in spreading the word a bit...
Old 2007-11-17, 04:26   Link #259
wao
OK.

Sorry for bumping, but just in to post that *gasp* there is an interview of the director Kenji Nakamura and character designer Takashi Hashimoto over at WEB Anime Style here. They always ahve pretty informative interviews (at least the ones I've read are full of info about the production process!) so would any higher beings in the vicinity be up to translating it? I've only skimmed through it myself... if nobody does it I might translate it crappily because it looks like so much fun .

Having heard the audio commentaries off the Bakeneko special ed DVD I came away thinking that the staff are a pretty fun lot, and is that Hashimoto on the right? Nice hair.
Old 2007-11-19, 18:23   Link #260
Snoop'

Thanks wao for that compelling interview. The 2nd part has been posted, and the 3rd should follow closely.
Sorry no translation, waaaay too long. The 1st part is basically Bakeneko and how it was created (the chara design, how they worked the storyboard, etc.), while the 2nd part focuses more on Mononoke (esp. the scenarii).

I've restrained myself from watching the DVD bonus on Niconico ; still waiting for my granny to send the 1st DVD...

Tags
noitamina, supernatural