AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-16, 17:45   Link #34981
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins Advice History Onwards Cycle Playdate Forging Meetings Search

BTF Omakes:

Old Iron Omakes 1, 2, 3 Mr Snuggles Omake Oh Bandit Tree Old Iron Omakes 4, 5

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Valkyrie Start:
Me: Well, the prototype (IMO) Tanks well... for now.

Val: If all it can do is tank, it's not gonna be quite useful in battle.

Odin: I'll just break that armor with a well place dimensional slash...

Elane: Headshot using a Anti-MS Rifle.

Mariemeia: Kill the pilot before she can don it.

Reia: No comment.

Iris: Same here.

Sarah: Spank her, very very hard.

Amelia: -_-"
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
mega1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 18:05   Link #34982
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altarian View Post
*deep breath*

Well, here I go. Hello, AS Nanoha FFT thread. I can't exactly say I've been a long-time lurker, but I have read through about a year's worth of the most recent posts (many hundreds of pages)! I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing new fiction as well as writers' thought processes, and I especially liked getting the chance to watch the HayatexVivio Files be born and grow.

Deathcurse, your ability to play upon heartstrings is ridiculous. I really wish I could write like you. *sigh*

Shigan, I am so in love with everything you write. I was blown away by 'Flying' and it was 'The Things We Tame' that really solidified in my head how HxV might look.

Moczo, I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a fic as I did at 'Intercom'. You are a master of written comedic timing, especially in the world of crackfic!

It's been many years since I set my hand to write fanfiction, but in the long process of reading through this thread an idea or two appeared. The first result is below. I'm not at all confident that years of writing technical reports and learning to think like an engineer haven't eroded my creative writing skills entirely, but we'll see.

For your perusal:
Spoiler for On Borrowed Time:

Spoiler for Notes:

Anyway, that's what I have for you today. I do plan to stick around, and I swear that someday I'll find the time to watch Slayers and read Nanya's epic crossover of DOOM. I'd love some feedback on this as I attempt to gather some other plot threads together for a multi-parter which will have a very different, non-tragic feel to it.

Ciao, AS!
Hi, welcome to the board!

I'm delighted that you're enjoying the Hayate x Vivio Files . The more people hooked onto The Crack, the better! And, um, Chapter 6 is being written. Painfully slowly. School is distracting, not to mention new flashy story ideas @_@...

About the fic: I swear I've read a similar idea somewhere *scratches head*... "similar" is still original though , and this was a nice one.

The beginning really sets an interesting tone for me. It's got a kind of wry humour, especially as narrated in Fate's thoughts, but yet there's a detached calmness to it too, particularly when mentioning Precia and the cloning process. It definitely puts me on my guard--the story would either be a juxtaposition of humour and tragedy , or completely go deeply into dark, depressing tragedy! The end effect wasn't what I expected ^^.

I did go "" when I didn't see Lindy mentioned at all when Fate was going through the reactions of her family...I understand why you didn't go there, since your focus was on the Nanoha/Hayate/Fate scene, but it was still startling . Maybe you could slip a mention of Lindy into the paragraph with Chrono and Amy? Otherwise, I did find the explanations for why Fate was mostly alone in the hospital realistic--honestly, in real life, most people can't afford to drop everything in their lives for a sick family member. It's a sad truth, but life goes on and most people have to work regardless. I felt you did a great job balancing their concern for Fate with the realism of them being unable to spend their entire time by her bedside.

The Wolkenritter are cute/awesome . And the bit with Vivio made me sad for the poor girl .

The scene with Nanoha and Hayate definitely fulfills its purpose--nostalgic sadness from old friends about to lose one of their own--and the length fits...but I can't help but wish to be able to see more of the talking of "memories" that were summed up in a paragraph. You had enough dialogue leading up to it to leave it alone, but I'm greedy . I found that the summary of their last words together in narrative and not dialogue kept me from being as emotionally invested in the ending as I could have been, but nonetheless I felt for all of them by the ending .

The last lines with Bardiche were just fantastic. Short and succinct, yet they pack real emotional punches. Great job there.

Small comments on your Author's Note: I admit, I was a little disappointed not to see Arf, Erio, or Caro mentioned (I already talked about Lindy earlier), even just in passing. The scope of your fic doesn't really require them to appear, but since I know of them I can't help but expect them a little ^^.

In my head, it's hard to put the right imagery on this fic. Nanoha and company must be at least 60 years old, all of them, and yet I can't quite picture them properly. I'm stuck imagining all of them as young adults! XD

Anyway, great story, and welcome .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 21:56   Link #34983
Altarian
Semi-Aspiring Writer

Thanks for the feedback, everyone - I really appreciate it! ^.^

@deathcurse - Damn, I can't believe I forgot Lindy! And right after rewatching her be awesome in the movie, too. I'll throw in a line or two about her, and I'm going to alter some of the narration and dialogue to give a better impression that a lot of time has passed. It's tough to write the MGLN protagonists as older people when we're so used to seeing them young and vibrant... and blowing stuff up all the time.
Altarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 23:01   Link #34984
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Hey, look!

2 updates in one day!

Been awhile since I did that!

Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins Advice History Onwards Cycle Playdate Forging Meetings Search

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peek - Valkyrie 2:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 23:26   Link #34985
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Hey, look!

2 updates in one day!

Peek's Mini-Arcs:

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

Mariemeia: We kinda miss you doing multi-update a day, Nanya...

Odin: *snarking* Maybe his Muse have something to do with it. He looked so relaxed from the last time I've seen him.

Mariemeia: Um... When's the wedding?

Me: *Knocks Mariemeia unconscious with a knockout spray can.* Anyways... Nove still feeling out of place with her super powered sisters, no?

Reia: She should be thankful that she looks normal as a cyborg in her series can get. The rest are sore thumbs without proper concealment techniques.

Iris: No doubt her sisters, excluding Quattro, wants Nove to as normal as possible for them.

Elane: Jail and Uno... Gawd! We Need more like them.

Sarah: If that wish came thru, I'll personally perform a vasectomy to you.
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
Old 2011-11-17, 06:50   Link #34986
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Omg I have no time, almost one month left before Christmas and I'm still stuck at the early stages of Chapter 12, nooooooo.....
Old 2011-11-17, 09:10   Link #34987
Filraen
Big Damn Lurker

Quote:
Hey, look!

2 updates in one day!

Peek's Mini-Arcs:

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

For Jail to worry about your sanity you have to be pretty much gone.
Filraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 10:34   Link #34988
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altarian View Post
*deep breath*

Well, here I go. Hello, AS Nanoha FFT thread. I can't exactly say I've been a long-time lurker, but I have read through about a year's worth of the most recent posts (many hundreds of pages)! I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing new fiction as well as writers' thought processes, and I especially liked getting the chance to watch the HayatexVivio Files be born and grow.

Deathcurse, your ability to play upon heartstrings is ridiculous. I really wish I could write like you. *sigh*

Shigan, I am so in love with everything you write. I was blown away by 'Flying' and it was 'The Things We Tame' that really solidified in my head how HxV might look.

Moczo, I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a fic as I did at 'Intercom'. You are a master of written comedic timing, especially in the world of crackfic!

It's been many years since I set my hand to write fanfiction, but in the long process of reading through this thread an idea or two appeared. The first result is below. I'm not at all confident that years of writing technical reports and learning to think like an engineer haven't eroded my creative writing skills entirely, but we'll see.

For your perusal:
Spoiler for On Borrowed Time:

I love how there just wasn't enough of in this story to make Deathcurse really get into her groove, no, the woman needs her tragedy in spaceship-loads and god help us all the day the Happiness Fan breaks. *takes a few swings*

i think some of the other writers already said what I had in mind, it is a very nice story, and Fate passed with the sort of dignified resolution I can only see her and Signum doing. You have delivered two well written scenes here. What you might want to do however is to establish their age much earlier on, I had it in my head all this time that they were all in their 30's. 50 years is a long time by any human standard and it would perhaps have been nice if there was a few details and reflections about how the years had marred Fate and those around her. Vivio should here be in her thirties: does she have her own family? how did her career go? How does Nanoha look at this point of her life, and how did their life together change her? It ouwld be nice to have their ages portrayed in writing rather than just a number.

And yeah, Lindy xD!

Aside from that, good job on the unlurking! =D And thank you for the praise. Trust me, the HxV crew is still kind of grappling with the fact that our crack pairing is so appreciated xD.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Shigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 21:17   Link #34989
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Peek's Mini-Arcs:

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

Valkyrie 2

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Valkyrie 3:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 22:28   Link #34990
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Peek's Mini-Arcs:

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

Valkyrie 2

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Valkyrie 3:
Me: This looks like trouble.

Odin: Levi's plan is about to get skewered anyway one the Aces and the Cyborgs realized that she's the puppeteer in the grand scheme.

Val: IF they ever find out, that is. Hopefully Due can spark some light in the upcoming conspiracy Levi cooking up.

Iris: Do you need of an Exorcists?

Odin: I don't think they'll need it.
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

Old 2011-11-18, 16:41   Link #34991
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Anyone here have any advice or experience writing a battle scene that involved combat tentacles?
Old 2011-11-18, 17:08   Link #34992
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Anyone here have any advice or experience writing a battle scene that involved combat tentacles?
compromising state of the victims, r@p3 or nearly about to at the victim in it's clutches, males are either drooling, got nosebleed or BSOD due to the naughty tentacles activity, someone got warp up in them while the rest tries to rescue the victim, the heroes are forced on the defensive due to multiple attacking limbs going at them, Blasting it with a flamethrower/RPG or whatever you think suited in the scene...
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

Old 2011-11-18, 17:15   Link #34993
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega1987 View Post
compromising state of the victims, r@p3 or nearly about to at the victim in it's clutches, males are either drooling, got nosebleed or BSOD due to the naughty tentacles activity, someone got warp up in them while the rest tries to rescue the victim, the heroes are forced on the defensive due to multiple attacking limbs going at them, Blasting it with a flamethrower/RPG or whatever you think suited in the scene...
COMBAT tentacles, not Naughty Tentacles.
Old 2011-11-18, 18:25   Link #34994
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Best advice I can think of is try not to turn one into the other.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 18:35   Link #34995
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
COMBAT tentacles, not Naughty Tentacles.
Sorry mate. My mind kept coming back to Shadow!Kanji of Persona 4: the animation.... It's oozing with sexuality and comedy in episode 7. But I can't look at F/SN Gilgamesh, Yzak and Domon the same ever again... *shivers*

But you never know that the freaking tentacle monsters is also a sex fiend who use the said part for combat, sexually or not at his foes.
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

Old 2011-11-18, 19:09   Link #34996
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It won't be against a female opponent so relax about that.
Old 2011-11-18, 20:32   Link #34997
Altarian
Semi-Aspiring Writer

Quote:
I'd always thought fighting Combat Tentacles would be similar to trying to fight a hive mind of constrictor snakes. A great way to incapacitate someone with a tentacle is to use it for a sleeper hold (around the neck), takes seconds to knock out and a bit longer to kill - otherwise, you could bind their limbs with lots of smaller tentacles or just crush their ribs with a big one.

I'd imagine the best way to fight something that used them would depend on if you have area-of-effect attacks or not... and whether said monster is capable of bleeding to death, 'cause if so you should only need to cut several tentacles off and wait for it to die

That, or pinning tentacles to the ground by impaling them or something. Helps if it automatically regrows them.
Altarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 23:27   Link #34998
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Sounds like you want a serious answer, so I'll give one? ^_^

Since we're talking about combat tentacles here, imagine boxing. The basics include straight punch, curve punch, upper hook, lower hook etc. The human arm's greatest strength lies in its flexibility as compared to other melee weapons.

So is the tentacles. Supposed that they hit much harder than an average human, and unlike humans they have no bones these tentacles also possess incredible flexibility that allow numerous attacks from pretty much any angle. Then its main strategy for attack is simple: Overwhelm your opponents with attacks from every direction. Punch/pierce/crush to force the enemy retreat, block paths and herd enemies with side attacks, and if the enemy made the mistake of standing their ground ONLY will you use wrapping. That is because hold attacks take longer to execute, harder to land, and gives the enemy a longer window to destroy them (Since a wrapping arm carries a lower force-upon-impact).
Old 2011-11-19, 00:48   Link #34999
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Actually, wrapping attacks could actually be more effective against a retreating target than one standing their ground. Standing one's ground would mean they are likely paying more attention to the movements of the tentacles since they are not trying to map out a best route of escape or taking note of more mobility obstacles. Think of a fleeing/retreating target as one with a long, narrow cone of detection that would probably be facing away from the tentacles more often than not while the one standing their ground as having a shorter, but much wider cone of detection that does not need to move much to keep track of the tentacles. That's just my take on it.

Also, perhaps the use of different types of tentacles attacks together would be beneficial. Use the high damage ones to keep the target(s) busy until an opening to use the grappling tentacles is created and then bind them up or go for the kill.
Old 2011-11-19, 00:52   Link #35000
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

How much control on the tentacles will there be? Do they follow only basic commands (swing, punch, grab, grope) or can they be controlled as if they are one's own limbs? Because how the tentacles can be used depends on their fine-control and how the user can multitask on all tentacle?

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha